• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Times up !

How long before I see sprouts? It’s been 12 days. I put the dry seeds in 50mm peat pellets on a heating pad with the domes on and in a grow tent. These are 8 different varieties of hot peppers. I put two or three seeds in each pod , I have 32 of them. I could’ve sworn they popped up in a week last year useing the same method. 
PS I don’t have much patience,so I’m told.

Jeff L said:
How long before I see sprouts? It’s been 12 days. I put the dry seeds in 50mm peat pellets on a heating pad with the domes on and in a grow tent. These are 8 different varieties of hot peppers. I put two or three seeds in each pod , I have 32 of them. I could’ve sworn they popped up in a week last year useing the same method. 
PS I don’t have much patience,so I’m told.

A quick search turned up:

What's your fastest/average seed germination time?
Butch T seed germination time
Bhut germination time
Germination Time
seed germination time

Hope this helps!

Reactions: Bou
Are they leftover seeds or brand new ones? If they are from last year supply, how did you store those seeds? Make sure that the temp is not too high so you don't cook the seeds (can put a towel undeneath the tray). Also, check that the Jiffys are still moist as sometimes all the water evaporate due to the heat mat and then condensate inside the dome cover, leaving not much water around the seeds...

Even if they usually germinate in less than 10 days, superhot can take quite a while to sprout, sometimes over a month so you shouldn't worry too much for now,

Good luck!  

You've been successful in the past:

post-15790-0-75225200-1586355573_thumb.jpg

Why not now?

I don’t know. I bought the seeds from the same place. Using the same process. I think I bought bigger pods and buried the seeds too deep. I have some leftover so I put them in wet paper towels to germinate 

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 101
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 105
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 102
Jeff L said:
I bought the seeds from the same place.
Using the same process.

So far - So good

Jeff L said:
I think I bought bigger pods and buried the seeds too deep.

OK, bigger Jiffy Pellet? From what size to what?

Peat_Pellet2.jpg

Planting seeds a bit deeper not a bad thing - Many suggest this to help prevent the seed coat from sticking, often called Helmet Head . How much deeper?

What about supplemental heat?

_

I got the 50mm,last year was42mm. The seeds are about an inch deep. They’re on a heating pad. I also took a dryer vent hose and duct taped it in a shoebox and placed it over a heat vent and ran it into the tent. There’s been maybe three days of direct sunlight on them. It’s cloudy every day. Must be lousy seeds.

Ok, so you've done all this MacGyver-ing. That's cool, I like to make something out of nothing too. But, 1) what is the actual temperature in your little germ house? And 2) is that temp somewhat stable? I'm gonna guess 1-too cold, and 2-not stable.

My little germinator sets at 84 degrees all day, every day. Seeds sprout fast, fast, fast - except for those damn turbo pubes that will not pop (guessing bad seed). Most of my varieties sprout in 7 days, pubes by 10.

Try to take a temp in a jiffy and see what it is.
Maybe last year was sunnier and warmer, and thats why your seeds popped as expected.

fishhead said:
Ok, so you've done all this MacGyver-ing.

I was In a similar thought process I was probing the the great success one year and the failure on the next.

Jeff L said:
Must be lousy seeds.

So my last question Jeff is, What is the difference in seeds? R U using last years seeds, new seeds, different seed supplier, etc.?

And if I can make a suggestion? Considering your previous success, I'd be hesitant to rely on a new method, folded wet paper towel/baggie. unless you're experienced.

_

The_NorthEast_ChileMan said:

I was In a similar thought process I was probing the the great success one year and the failure on the next.

So my last question Jeff is, What is the difference in seeds? R U using last years seeds, new seeds, different seed supplier, etc.?

And if I can make a suggestion? Considering your previous success, I'd be hesitant to rely on a new method, folded wet paper towel/baggie. unless you're experienced.

_
I bought the seeds this season from the same vendor as last year. I ordered four, he sent eight. I use to germinate pot seeds the paper towel method as a kid. I have reaper seeds from my plants last year that are sprouting using this method.

I guess im growing reapers again. The novelty has worn off on these, they’re just too damn hot. I have a quart of fine ground powder that will last a lifetime. 

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 90
Jeff L said:
I got the 50mm,last year was42mm. The seeds are about an inch deep.
This is quite deep for pepper seeds. I personally have never planted pepper seeds more than 1/2”, my preference is 1/4 to 3/8.

skullbiker said:
This is quite deep for pepper seeds. I personally have never planted pepper seeds more than 1/2”, my preference is 1/4 to 3/8.
Ya ,last year I only planted them about a 1/2” and kept thinking it wasn’t enough and they all popped up. So why I changed this year I have no idea. I took them out and scratched up the dirt a bit last week maybe it’ll help

Even if planted too deep, seeds will still germinate, but may not be able to reach the surface. So, you shallowed up some seeds that have been planted for over a month- and they have not germinated? Something other than depth is going on. My previous reply still applies.

I’m thinking maybe bigger is better is not true when planting little pepper seeds in bigger pods. These are more for pumpkin or something. When I dug down it wasnt as moist as the top part of the pod. I didn’t want to add too much water thinking it would mold. I’m going to dig around each pod to fluff them up and add water.

Back