food Tiny peppers in dehydrator?

I've got a couple hundred Yellow Biquinho peppers stored up in the freezer amongst all the other pods, and I need to dry as many of my peppers as possible before I move my family across town at the end of the month. These aren't as small as tepins, about 1/4'' wide and 1/2'' long on average, but still small enough to fall right through the openings of my dehydrator's trays, especially if sliced into halves and dried. Has anyone tried lining the trays of your dehydrator with wax paper or aluminum foil? I don't want to block too much airflow, but the only alternative I can think of is oven drying, which I'd hoped was a thing of the past for me. Any ideas will be much appreciated. I only have about 4 or 5 more nights of my wife working night shift this month, and I'll need to use most of them to dry the 2+ lb of pods I've got stockpiled in the freezer.

Mine didn't come with one, just 5 aerated trays. But if using aluminum foil would fulfill the same premise, I'm down for that.

Scarlet Fire said:
Mine didn't come with one, just 5 aerated trays. But if using aluminum foil would fulfill the same premise, I'm down for that.
Yep, the air will move around fine. I do it each year with 3 types and mainly with Peruvian white habs. 

Yeah, these look like they're almost small enough to air dry, but they're actually fairly thick-walled for their size.
frozenbiquinhoyellows_zps1a2cdab9.jpg

I'd suggest parchment paper over wax paper. Just cut it so it doesn't completely close off the vents in the trays so you still have circulation.

My oven came with a dehydrator function, but no trays. So I went to the hardware store and bought a roll of stainless steel window screen. Cut three "trays" the size of the oven racks and it works like a champ. This is a reusable solution to your situation.

Back