• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

tiny sprouts

I planted my Jalapeno, Serrano, Naga Morich, and Habanero seeds a lil less than a week ago...and I got sprouts on all of them!!!!! Gonna be a real good growing season this year...I HOPE!!!!!!!!! This commin weekend I should be finished with the greenhouse so as soon as the temps stay warm enough at night and my plants get about a foot or so tall. They can move into there new home!!!!!!!!:drooling:

HOLY MOLY the Jalapenos almost tripled in size overnight!!!! The Serranos are doin fine and I have a few more Naga Morrich sprouts (boy the Naga's are taken their good old time but thats OK )

When I get ready to transplant my seedlings into larger pots (I am doing this before they get transfered to my greenhouse) Should I put them into 1/2 gallon or 1 gallon pots? I only want to transplant them once so I want a pot large enough to sustain them at maturity....I was thinking 1 gallon..is that ok?

When do you introduce the seedlings to sunlight? I have a bunch of sprouts I had just come up, I had the little babies on a heating pad (honestly honey, I dont know where it could've gone) and I finally have sprouts about an inch or three high in some soil in a make shift bio-dome :lol:

LUCKYDOG said:
When do you introduce the seedlings to sunlight? I have a bunch of sprouts I had just come up, I had the little babies on a heating pad (honestly honey, I dont know where it could've gone) and I finally have sprouts about an inch or three high in some soil in a make shift bio-dome :lol:

I dunno if I'm starting mine the right way or not (but so far having great results) I have mine in Jiffy trays with plastic covers on them (sorta a mini greenhouse). No I did not use Jiffy Pots. I used lil 1"x1" peat pots that I filled with seed starter potting soil. I give them a weak fertilizer solution once every other day. They are setting in a window that gets sunlight about 85-90% of the day. I also have a heat pad under them to maintain a temperature of around 80 degrees. I am going to wait till the plants are about 6-8" tall before I transplant. So far I have 75 plants that have sprouted.

Well I usually start my seeds in a bio dome type setup, then once the seedlings get their first true leaves I take the dome off to ensure they get plenty or fresh air. The plants are usually ready for transplanting once they get a couple inches tall.

I use 5 gallon buckets instead of 1 gallon that way it'll be about a year or year and a half before I have to transplant again.

this is what I was told, I'm not saying its the truth since I'm just learning to grow peppers better right now.
but they said its better to upsize the container the plant is in over time vs throwing it into a really big container right away, they said the plant would grow better & produce better ?

chilehunter said:
this is what I was told, I'm not saying its the truth since I'm just learning to grow peppers better right now.
but they said its better to upsize the container the plant is in over time vs throwing it into a really big container right away, they said the plant would grow better & produce better ?
I've heard that one as well, but it just doesn't make any sense to me. They grow great in the ground, so why would their growth be stunted when thrown into a huge pot with lots of dirt.

IGG - IMO all you here know more about this than me, so I'm just going off what others tell me. 1 person said the reason being that in a smaller container the plant would grow roots 1st & take up the space in the container then concertrate on growing the rest of the plant above ground.
if its left to grow roots wild before taking its energy to grow above ground, the plant wouldnt grow above ground as fast or produce as much fruit.
like I said this is just what i've been told, me personally I said the same thing you said that it doesnt make sense since pepper plants grow fine on thier own in the garden.

chilehunter said:

If I remember correctly, what happens is that the plants in the smaller containers become root bound and start producing above ground growth faster. They don't get as big as the plants in larger containers, though, so while you get some fruit faster, you probably won't get as much fruit over time as you would get from a plant in a large container.

Putting them in the larger containers right away doesn't hurt the plants at all, they just take a little extra time to establish the root system needed to support a larger plant.

IME, putting them in the larger containers right away produces larger, more productive plants in the end, it sometimes takes a wee bit longer to get that first fruit, though.

I tend to agree with Pam. Transplanting when they get established does more harm. Leave well enough alone and put em in a larger pot from the git go.JMO

Back