• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Tips for top notch peppers

My dad is going to grow some red savinas, pot 7's and bhut's for me. He's not farmer Iggy but he has managed to grow a solid amount of winter vegtables and some leafy greens in his massive garden. Any tips to making sure he cultivates these strains successfully? He has a good soil mix but I don't believe he tests the ph. The garden is in Florida and it is partially shaded so the weather is partial. There's a great irrigation system and drainage. Anything else you can think of it is greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Danny

I'm no expert in growing super hots but I've read a lot of posts and picked up an important one. Some growers make the mistake by over feeding the peppers with fertilizers and are obsessively trying to grow a healthy plant. That will only lead to failure. Not unless you are an expert.. Let the peppers take their natural course and don't rush them... PATIENCE....
Good luck . :)

best tip I can give you is peppers don't like wet feet...and in the summer heat...wet/soggy soil + high temperatures = root rot

The best tips I can think of are to start with a good light soil, and don't overwater or overfertilize.

Thanks everyone! Very helpful esspecially since my dad is GREAT at overwatering. I was building a treehouse for my kids a couple hundred yards from his garden and I watched him leave the water sprinklers on for over 4 hours! It wasn't a garden any more. More like a pond!

I think keeping it simple is the key to getting good peppers. Or at least, keeping it as simple as possible. :lol:

Back