• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

breeding To avoid cross pollination??

I would appreciate clarity on the following:

In order to avoid cross-pollination, when is the organza bag affixed over the fruit? At the budding stage...the flower...the pod?

Will this method pretty much guarantee that the strain remains pure? I would like to make the effort if the results are worthwhile.

Thank you.

Hi huntsman.

you can do it from the bud stage to the just before open stage.

Either bag it with a tea bag or dab a small amount of pva glue on it. Be sure to shake the plant or tap the flower around midday once open to aid in pollination. As soon as the fruit begins to form you can remove the bag. Then mark the 'green bit' the fruit is attached to with a piece of coloured string.

You could also bag the whole plant with a fleece bag commonly used for protecting during frost.

Chris

Thanks, Chris -

So just to confirm: I bag the bud as soon as it forms, then leave the bag on until after the flower forms and drops. Once I see the fruit forming I can remove the bag?

From your suggestion to tie a piece of string onto the fruit, I guess you only bag a limited amounted per plant? Just enough to save seeds for the next year, perhaps?

I was expecting to bag every bud on every bush! With 32 bushes in the ground and another 60 in grow bags you can imagine my reluctance! :lol::lol:

Your first two statements are correct. Just bag a few buds per variety and mark them to show you which pods have true seeds.

To your final statement: :crazy: You would be there forever :lol:

Good luck, Chris

bag a little more than you would like to save, then save seeds from only the pods you think are well-endowed. make sure they ripen all the way too, might help to even let them over-ripen on the plant. u prolly know this already tho. gl!

Thanks, always good to be reminded, ash...;-)

BTW when is it too late to bag them? When the first petals appear on the flower?

Anyone know if you get better results from different positions on the plant? ie Is a shaded part better or worse for a great pod?

You should bag the flower before it opens
I prefer to bag or isolate entire plants so I can selectively breed them by chosing plants/pods with the best characteristics.

Thanks, POTAWIE -

You just toss a large organza bag over the entire plant? Does this not restrict growth?

I see what you mean with selection...if I just do a few pods, I might well choose the less vigorous, right?

I don't know what an organza bag is, usually tulle is used. It shouldn't restrict growth since you only need to bag for a few days to a few weeks while pollination occurs. Personally I just bring certain plants indoors(or into the greenhouse) for a week or so until a bunch of the first flowers are self pollinated and then I label them and return them outside. I don't have room or time to isolate all my varieties, but so far most of my own saved OP varieties seem to breed true. Chances are usually much higher that peppers will self pollinate, especially if there aren't a lot of pollinating insects around. The problem is that you won't know the results until you grow the saved seeds to maturity.

Thanks -

Your tulle is our organza...;-)

Yeah, I'd rather make the attempt than just hope for the best...I'm too close to middle age to waste any time..lol.

Back