• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

To cage or not to cage?

I hate trying to squeeze a tomato cage over a plant that is already large enough to need it. I much prefer to place them while they're young and let them grow into it.

I see some people with cages on their peppers, and some without.

So should I just use them right off the bat or not?

Do some peppers consistently perform fine without on, while other need one? Which ones?

Thanks

As much as this helps...it depends. I grow in containers on a balcony and never needed cages until last year. I started A cobra which grew to be 4 feet tall and a New Mexico. They both exceeded anything in height and weight I had ever had before. So mid July I was buying tomato cages and trying to get them on the plants. It sucked. This year I will watch the fights on what I buy and set up cages in advance just in case it's so much easier.

To me that would really depend on the pepper. Last year it seemed all my peppers that were somewhat elongated in pod shape also grew elongated plants, to the point that I called them Vine Peppers (Aji Amarillo, Aji Ahuachapa, Aji Santa Cruz and Sila-Top). I had to continually support these plants throughout the season. This year I know better and will set cages before hand. 

Note: Also some of my best tasting peppers!

My ghost grew really tall and I used a pole and twine to support it.

10913586_10203347700001816_166266751_n_zpsb07077ec.jpg

(If you have them in rows) you could probably use a Florida weave on plants that are already big enough to need a cage.  A lot less of a PITA than squeezing one over each of them.

Thank you everyone!  I like the look of that Florida Weave.  I need to figure out how to incorporate it into my potted plants which are sitting on a wooden deck, without drilling holes through the deck that is.  I think I am just going to cage/weave them all just to be on the safe side.

I'm going with cages on all plants this year.  I put cages on my aji lemons last year and its a good thing.  They were 4 feet wide and tall, and had so many heavy off shoots that a single steak wouldn't have helped.  My paper lantern, fatalii, Trinidad scotch bonnets had so many long off shoot branches that were heavy with peppers I had to push multiple stakes in the ground around them and tie up the branches.  Again, a single steak wouldn't have helped at all.

If I use a cage I always put the cage on just after planting.

I added support stakes to all of my plants in big pots and I am glad I did.The two smaller pots that I didn't add stakes to have been a nightmare.I lost large branches off my reaper twice,and one of my choc bhuts now has many bits of wood trying to hold up branches loaded with ripe pods.From now on I will add stakes as soon as I plant out into their final pots without fail.I cant image trying to keep these plants in check without support.

Swampy_NZ said:
I added support stakes to all of my plants in big pots and I am glad I did.The two smaller pots that I didn't add stakes to have been a nightmare.I lost large branches off my reaper twice,and one of my choc bhuts now has many bits of wood trying to hold up branches loaded with ripe pods.From now on I will add stakes as soon as I plant out into their final pots without fail.I cant image trying to keep these plants in check without support.
Awesome plants!!!

I've used these cages for the past couple years and love them.   You can change the layout of the cage as the plant grows, which really helps.  Not cheap but worth it imo.  :) 

SmokenFire said:
I've used these cages for the past couple years and love them.   You can change the layout of the cage as the plant grows, which really helps.  Not cheap but worth it imo.  :) 
Lol I didn't see 6pack at first and I was like my god he doesn't have a budget. Those are nice. I think I may try some of those this season. I've seen them at the store and wondered if they were durable. Sounds like they are

Swampy_NZ said:

damn, those are some healthy plants.  They look amazing!

Back