• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

preservation to former and current smokers and vapers

ms1476 said:
Smoking is a very fast method of absorption due to the base environment of the lungs (basic environment is faster absorption than acidic environment when the drug is basic, like cigarette smoke). Wouldn't inhaling vapor still enter the lungs in order to get into the bloodstream? When you say MAOIs do you mean the drugs that inhibit mono amine oxidase? MAO is an enzyme that clears a synaptic channel, not a chemical produced in smoke. I'm just wondering how vapor could differ from smoke in absorption, having studied the subject quite extensively...
36mg of nicotine, if ingested, would put an average human in the hospital. Rarely does a cigarette exceed 2mg. Generally, they average a tad bit over 1 mg each. One would feel very ill if they consumed 36 cigarettes at the exact same moment...

EDIT: Were you referring to the article that found lower MAO A and MAO B in rats from cigarette chemicals other than nicotine alone? If so, I got you now. The chemicals other than nicotine act as MAOIs. That is interesting. The nasty "other chemicals" would then contribute to increased pleasure, and thus be more addictive. That is terrible, but interesting.
This is correct, 36mg would really be bad to ingest all at once. Another thing people need to realize is that the mg measurement in e liquids is a measurement of the nicotine per ml. A ml will last me almost an entire day, while a cigarette is gone in a few minutes. It's all a matter of proportions.

I wasn't referring to that study in particular, but that is exactly what I meant. There are actually natural MAOI's in cigarette smoke. From what I've read (should have saved the links), these other chemicals boost the effects of the nicotine and some of them have standalone effects as well such as sedation. These "other chemicals" are exactly the reason why cigarettes are more satisfying than vaping. Even though vaping gives you nicotine, it lacks all the other nasties in cigarettes so you aren't addressing all aspects of your addiction. Some people actually extract all of the chemicals from tobacco and put it into their vaping liquid. It's still much better for you than smoking because the substances aren't being burned, saving you from a lot of the carcinogens. I prefer not to do it, though.

To the op: In the end, cigarettes just have so many effects on your body that it would be hard to isolate the cause of the reduced burning sensation when eating peppers. I don't have the knowledge to even take a guess, but I definitely would not be surprised if the cigarettes were numbing the sensation in some way. They just really put your body out of whack. Congrats on quitting, btw. That's probably one of the best decisions you'll ever make  :clap:

Back