• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

to late

iv gave a friend of mine some seeds today from some hybrid jalapena seeds i found but i told him i thought it was to late to start them what do the experts think ???? southern Indiana zone 5/6

I don't think it's to late but he will be behind and may not get good yields but it would be interesting to know how they end up at the end of the season. I say give it a try and if nothing else he could just do it as an experiment. Also, he could almost sow them directly outside.

Dale

6 weeks to plantout from date seed sewn, so that is first of July...Japs take about 70-80 days normally, so that would be middle of September to first ripe pepper....first frost is early October right?....he may get a couple of peppers....

others opinions?

AlabamaJack said:
6 weeks to plantout from date seed sewn, so that is first of July...Japs take about 70-80 days normally, so that would be middle of September to first ripe pepper....first frost is early October right?....he may get a couple of peppers....

others opinions?
AJ,

With the warmer growing season and brighter sun, it may just take 65 days. We didn't have a killing frost last year until late October. That extra 15-20 days could provide a decent harvest. If he wanted to, he could always cover a plant or two with a large box or something for a couple of nights if a heavy frost is forecast.

I would grow them in containers, though and bring one or two inside.

Mike

Back