• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

To pinch or not to pinch

hey guys quick question again. I asked the same thing about one of my c. annuums a few weeks ago and in that thread some people replied that they will pinch the first buds on the annuums but not there c. chineses. So here is my orange hab plant and its making its first forks and puting out flower buds. I am still atleast a month away from when these plants will go outside. Meaning i dont mind so much if veg growth is slow right now. But i dont want the plant to be perminently stunted. So what do you think. Pinch or dont?

In case size matters. its about 17.5cms tall.
Image for size reference.
107_0287.jpg

Yea thats why i ask. cause i dont mind slowing it down. But i dont want to stunt its growth. I dont know what it is about this week. but i have 3 new plants in the pants 5 days trying to put flowers on. the Annuums i pinched but im not sure what to do about this hab.

pinching the new buds/flowers off the plants will not hurt, that's for sure...and although I have not seen research on it, I think the general consensus is, it does promote growth...

Thanks for the response. that is what i had heard. But i am wondering if i dont pinch the buds then growth will slow but will the plant always have stunted growth? or after i put them outside when it warms would the veg growth still take off?

I don't know where the "stunted" comes in to play...as long as you give the plant what it needs to grow (light/water/food/temperature) it will grow...I believe in fertilizing every watering with weak solutions and do that...and I can't see any difference in growth between a pinched and non-pinched plant...

peppers are easy to grow if they are given what they need and they will tell you once you learn their language...

Nothing popped yet but its only been 3 days :) but i keep checking!

I don't know where the "stunted" comes in to play...as long as you give the plant what it needs to grow (light/water/food/temperature) it will grow...I believe in fertilizing every watering with weak solutions and do that...and I can't see any difference in growth between a pinched and non-pinched plant...

peppers are easy to grow if they are given what they need and will tell you once you learn their language...

Thanks AJ. Good point. Now i just need more time to learn the language :) for now ill just keep using this forum as my translater.

that's what we are all trying to do Bee...learn that language...sometimes they speak in "foreign tongues" though... ;)

I have always pinched buds while the plants are young and inside. The plants then stop producing buds and use all their energy to grow bigger. The only time I've ever read that growth was stunted was when the first few buds were not pinched and allowed to flower and produce pods.

Back