• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Tobacco Mosaic Virus

I share a garden with other people and their tomatoes and peppers got the tobacco mosaic virus! My plants are fine so far but I want to help them figure out how to fight this virus. Has anyone had any luck fighting this virus?

All of the following information is summarized or quoted from Compendium of Pepper Diseases, 2003, American Phytopathological Society Press.
There is no way to cure an infected plant. The best you can do is try to minimize the spread of the infection in the garden. There are several varieties of mosaic virus that affect peppers, including Tobacco mosaic and Tomato mosaic. Some precautions to take:
  • Do not handle an infected plant and then handle a healthy plant, the virus spreads very easily!
  • To reduce the spread of the disease, coat hands, plants, and equipment with a solution of powdered instant nonfat milk
  • Remove and destroy infected plants and neighboring plants (in a small garden this might be a bit extreme)
  • Do not plant anything from the family solanaceae in the same spot next year. This includes peppers, tomatoes, tobacco, potatoes, and eggplant
At the end of the season, pull up and throw away any infected plants because, "both viruses can remain viable for several years in plant debris in dry soil." If your soil is generally moist in the winter the virus will probably die as the plant parts rot, but it is still safer to discard the plants and any dropped leaves.

One last note; are you sure it is the Tobacco mosaic virus? Many hot peppers are resistant or immune to TMV, though sweet varieties are usually not.

I'm not sure it's TMV but we suspect it is. I'm hoping we are wrong since this virus is aweful. It has affected the tomatoes and sweet peppers. The eggplants seem to be fine. I'm growing hot peppers. Maybe that's why mine haven't been affected. That sounds like good advice and all you can really do.

Ryan,
TMV is my greatest fear in growing tomatoes and other nightshade plants. Here in NC it is a major threat as we are on 'tobacco road'.
I only grow TMV resistant strains of tomatoes but who knows how vulnerable our superhots are.
Here is a pretty good article from our NC State Univ. Agro site..... http://www.ces.ncsu....dnotes/vg15.htm
Good luck with your fight!

Thanks for a link. We are also fighting aphids being farmed by ants, lol. They are on the tomatoes, peppers, and eggplants. Aphids are good at spreading this terrible virus around. Hopefully it's another problem. They have also been fighting blossom end rot with the tomatoes :( .

Curious to know if any of the people in the shared garden are smokers.

I am, heh. I have peppers at home and at the shared garden. No sign of the virus on my peppers though. I haven't handled their plants. I've been asked to not smoke and wash my hands thoroughly. From what I've read it's possible it came from my use of tobacco products. I don't know what the chances of that are. our garden is also at a college.

Edit: I'm growing over 30 varieties and 4 species unaffected.

If your own plants aren't affected and you didn't handle theirs, obviously you're not the source.

And yes, use of tobacco products can transmit the disease.

It'd be tough to track down the source and more difficult still to eradicate.

Pretty much have to slash and burn and have a scorched earth policy.

That or nuke them from space.

Good luck on those plants.

If your own plants aren't affected and you didn't handle theirs, obviously you're not the source.

And yes, use of tobacco products can transmit the disease.

It'd be tough to track down the source and more difficult still to eradicate.

Pretty much have to slash and burn and have a scorched earth policy.

That or nuke them from space.

Good luck on those plants.

Yeah, I don't think they will go for a scorched earth policy, heh. Hopefully it's a misdiagnosis. If it isn't, then perhaps I'll find out what is and isn't resistant to the virus.

There are test strips to test for viruses. There are numerous methods in treating and curing, specifically, the use of asa to spike the plants immunity hormones in producing anti bodies that will essentially cure the plant. Regardless of what studies people like to cite, there are always other studies that beg to differ. Get the test strips and then you will know you're next step should be, rather than fearing the worst and bringing an end to the plant. People can speculate til the cows come home, but until you know, you don't.

Back