• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Today's the day! Plugs or Seedling mix?

Today's the day I go and drop maybe $300ski on supplies to start my grow including heat mats, trays, domes, thermostats, ph meter, seedling mix or plugs, etc. I know I've asked before but beg just a little more patience. I'm really hung up on what to use be it seeds soil which would be Fox Farms or Black Gold that's what we have here or plugs. Does anyone out there have any experience with plugs like the rapid rooter knock offs in large grows. I like how easy they are to handle but do they work. I'm pulling the trigger today do any feed back is welcome.

I have used Burpee's expanding pellets which are usually sold at Home Depot. I have also recently tried the Extra Deep Jiffy Pellets and have had no problems. In the past I have used Pro-Mix BX to start my seeds but I am considering trying the Jiffy Pellets. They were a lot less work for me than filling the little cells with potting soil. Sorry that wasn't really an answer. What version of Fox Farm and Black Gold are you talking about. If they are not seed starting mixes they may have too much fertilizer in them.

It is going to be difficult to find one answer because everyone grows differently. Also, as you can see from my original post I am playing with the idea of using the Jiffy Pellets for convenience. Whereas if you want the best starts that may not be the way to go. If you look around the forum there are many members who grow really strong healthy seedlings at a fast past. It always amazes me to be honest. My plants generally take off once they reach my raised beds but until then things are a bit delicate. Basically you are going to have to try several growing mediums and see what suites your growing style best. I know that can be annoying and even stressful. When you spend a good chunk of money you want to see good results. Good luck with everything and let us know what you decide.

I used the Jiffy pellets with the heating mat and dome and I had over a 90% germination rate. Keep moist and covered and no problems at all...Any future seeding will be done the same way, for me..Easy to use, simple, effective and easy to replenish the trays..

Thanks everyone do much to consider humm. The Fox Farms and Black Gold are both seedling mix's. I am tempted to use the rapid rooter picks just for the ease of it all. The the other day I saw 72 cell start trays with domes complete with coco coir pellets. Man you are right this is stressful. Gotta make up my mind ... Ugh!!

I am a lot like you. I analyzed a ton of methods and spent probably way more than I should have. But so far the results have been pretty good.

I love the rapid rooters. I can watch the seeds come up and to me, being able to watch that keeps me much more relaxed. I would probably have replanted after about 2 or 2 and a half weeks if I was using soil and nothing broke the surface. Now I can actually be sure before I replant.

Do- buy a heating pad and digital thermostat for each flat. Exponentially helps germ rates.

Do- check eBay before you drop big bucks elsewhere

Also like Josh said, each person has a different experience. Read some GLogs and see what you would like to work with more.

If cost isn't an issue. then I would go with something like Rapid Rooters. I've gotten great results with the plugs. Root growth is fuzzy and vigorous!

Well I'm back from my trip to the grow store ..

2- 2 tray super sprouter heat mats
2- super sprouter thermostats
1- PH Meter
5- 72 cell planter, w/trays & domes

And last but not least 400 rapid rooter type plugs.
All for a the tidy sum of $280 , we're in the hunt now no turning back .. lol.

Back