• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Tomatillos

Have any of yall grown tomatillos? I have some seeds and I am gonna grow some. I am just wondering if they need any special care. The reason I want to grow them is because I like green salsa and if I am going to grow peppers so that I can make sausces an salsas I might as well grow tomatillos too.

Tomatillo pictures would be cool

All I can tell you is that I tried growing them from seed last year. They became way too leggy, double the height of tomato plants after a couple of weeks. Same lights, same water, same soil.

Not sure if I did something the wrong way or if is the nature of the plant.

Mike

I just sowed some Tomatillo seeds the other day... but as it's my first time growing them too, I couldn't tell you anything about them!

Make sure you plant a couple of plants. There was a thread on another forum about the problem of not setting fruit, but I can't find it now. If I remember correctly, they are not self-fertile. They need the pollen from other plants to set fruit. The more plants you have the higher the chance of pollination. Then again, it could be male and female flowers. Either way, there is a greater chance of pollination with more than one plant.

My father in law grows them every year. It is big in the hispanic culture. He direct seeds like 6 plants and they grow great. He does nothing special to them. Just plants and picks.

jacob

Pepperfreak said:
What do they taste like? I'm not sure I've ever tasted one.

look in the grocery store. they look like tomatoes, but have a papery covering. they smell funky too and are sticky. usually you cook them down and use them in a sauce or soup or stew. i wouldn't eat one just plain like a tomato - i can't imagine they would taste very good.

peter pepper said:
look in the grocery store. they look like tomatoes, but have a papery covering. they smell funky too and are sticky. usually you cook them down and use them in a sauce or soup or stew. i wouldn't eat one just plain like a tomato - i can't imagine they would taste very good.

I saw some of them this afternoon when I went to the Mexican store. They did acutally have them little papery husk on them. I am going to plant all the seeds that I have so I shouldnt have any issues with them not getting pollinated. Hopefully, they make good salsa verde. It would be a shame to grow them and them not be any good. I think they are going to make good salsa verde. I've looked up the recipes and it calls for the tomatillos.

peter pepper said:
i wouldn't eat one just plain like a tomato - i can't imagine they would taste very good.

thats my favorite way to eat them. just cut them in half, squeeze some lime over it with a little salt. its not something i imagine very many people would like, because its a really tangy, sort of sour taste, even without the lime.

mjdtexan- if you start the seeds indoors, you have to understand they will get leggy like nothing you can imagine. there isnt really anything you can do about it (nothing that ive figured out or heard of anyway). thats just the nature of the plant. its a close relative of tomatoes, but is actually a closer relative to potatoes (all three are solanacae family). if youve ever grown potatoes, you know that the plants tend to fall over alot unless you 'hill up' around them. tomatillos will do the same thing. hilling up around them helps for potatoes, but unlike potato plants, the stuff your after is above ground, so i would recommend also putting some sticks every few feet in your rows, and tying some twine or wire on them to keep the plants from falling over.

if you direct sow, they wont start out so leggy, and theyll keep tighter stems and growth in the beginning, but as they get bigger and start setting fruit, theyll need that same kind of support system as well.

do you know what variety you have? or does the packet not specify? if it doesnt, my guess is that they are toma verde, which is a good tomatillo, but if you are looking for size, i would recommend cisneros. they tend to get much bigger. there is also a few purple varieties. im trying a new green one called pineapple next season that is supposed to be the best tasting tomatillo. ill let you know in about 6 or 7 months what i think of it.

probably the best source for tomatillo seeds ive seen is www.tomatogrowers.com they sell a good variety of tomatillo seeds, a ton of tomato seeds too and several good hot and sweet pepper seeds. they sell all the varieties of tomatillo seeds i listed.

They are extremely easy to grow for me, they actually become the worst weeds in my garden every year now and I just can't get rid of them. I grew the green and purple varieties for several years but just didn't like the taste and stickiness

gardenvato said:
thats my favorite way to eat them. just cut them in half, squeeze some lime over it with a little salt. its not something i imagine very many people would like, because its a really tangy, sort of sour taste, even without the lime.

mjdtexan- if you start the seeds indoors, you have to understand they will get leggy like nothing you can imagine. there isnt really anything you can do about it (nothing that ive figured out or heard of anyway). thats just the nature of the plant. its a close relative of tomatoes, but is actually a closer relative to potatoes (all three are solanacae family). if youve ever grown potatoes, you know that the plants tend to fall over alot unless you 'hill up' around them. tomatillos will do the same thing. hilling up around them helps for potatoes, but unlike potato plants, the stuff your after is above ground, so i would recommend also putting some sticks every few feet in your rows, and tying some twine or wire on them to keep the plants from falling over.

if you direct sow, they wont start out so leggy, and theyll keep tighter stems and growth in the beginning, but as they get bigger and start setting fruit, theyll need that same kind of support system as well.

do you know what variety you have? or does the packet not specify? if it doesnt, my guess is that they are toma verde, which is a good tomatillo, but if you are looking for size, i would recommend cisneros. they tend to get much bigger. there is also a few purple varieties. im trying a new green one called pineapple next season that is supposed to be the best tasting tomatillo. ill let you know in about 6 or 7 months what i think of it.

probably the best source for tomatillo seeds ive seen is www.tomatogrowers.com they sell a good variety of tomatillo seeds, a ton of tomato seeds too and several good hot and sweet pepper seeds. they sell all the varieties of tomatillo seeds i listed.

They say Husk Tomato Ground Cherry on the packet from Burgess. I looked them up and they are not the green ones I want. I am familiar with tomatogrowers.com so I will reorder to get the ones I want. If they plant easy outside I just assume do that. I am after that good salsa.

Mjdtexan said:
They say Husk Tomato Ground Cherry on the packet from Burgess. I looked them up and they are not the green ones I want. I am familiar with tomatogrowers.com so I will reorder to get the ones I want. If they plant easy outside I just assume do that. I am after that good salsa.

Ground Cherries are a different fruit. I grew them last year as well. They are small, about 3/4" diameter and have a unique sweet taste. They are quite productive, and my kids loved them. But be careful, they can be poisonous if eaten before they ripen. They will fall off the plant when ripe, so then you just pick them up and enjoy!

jacob

jjs7741 said:
Ground Cherries are a different fruit. I grew them last year as well. They are small, about 3/4" diameter and have a unique sweet taste. They are quite productive, and my kids loved them. But be careful, they can be poisonous if eaten before they ripen. They will fall off the plant when ripe, so then you just pick them up and enjoy!

jacob

I am going to order some tomatillo seeds today. I really really wnat to make my own salsa verde in 2010. I see the Aussies are already in 2010 as we "speak".

gardenvato said:
if you start the seeds indoors, you have to understand they will get leggy like nothing you can imagine. there isnt really anything you can do about it (nothing that ive figured out or heard of anyway).

I found this out - yes, they are extremely leggy. I suppose one could try to mimic outdoor conditions - cooler soil and air temps, no or very little nitrogen, just enough water to keep it from wilting, less light than normal for starting seedlings inside, quite a bit of air movement. Even then, I don't know if it would help. My seedling were 12" tall when the maters were four inches.

Mike

POTAWIE said:
They are extremely easy to grow for me, they actually become the worst weeds in my garden every year now and I just can't get rid of them. I grew the green and purple varieties for several years but just didn't like the taste and stickiness

they usually need to be used in combination with regular tomatoes or at least in a salsa with peppers. the stickiness goes away pretty easily if you just run them under hot water.

mjd- definitely get something else. i havent grown ground cherries, but as i understand it they have a much different use than tomatillos. i know a lot of people that use them in pies and most say they dont make a good salsa

gardenvato said:
mjd- definitely get something else. i havent grown ground cherries, but as i understand it they have a much different use than tomatillos. i know a lot of people that use them in pies and most say they dont make a good salsa

Me thinks your right. I am ordering today.

I've tried to like them but now really have no use for them, and I'm sure I'll once again be pulling all kinds of tomatillo "weeds" in the spring/summer:(
From my experience, as well as other members' comments I think its one of those things you eithr like or hate, and salsa verdes (or anything with tomatillos) are usually on my hate list.

Tomatillo makes a good base for a green hot sauce.

It's good for that. Has a good flavor and makes a nice base, much like tomato, but more interesting. When you cook and reduce it it gets silky/creamy.

Back