• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Tomato Blight alert reported by Rutgers!

Kevin,

I'm surprised the commercial growers didn't take steps to make sure their plants were not infected. All my plants came from seeds and thankfully, no sight of blight has manifested itself.

Mike

Late blight is caused by Phytophthora infestans. It's a fungus, and unless you're spraying stuff for it, there's not much you can do about it if it shows up in your area. Its spores can be spread by wind, contact with workers, or even over long distances by windy weather patterns. Hell, they can even swim if it's wet enough. Most farmers do spray for late blight, but they may not be spraying for it this early in the season. Hence the name "Late Blight." Phytophthora is a bitch to get rid of once you've got it. You can fumigate, and spray a ton of chemicals and you may still see some in your crop.

Wordwiz, I'm glad you've not seen any blight of any kind. Blight is just a generic term in most cases for a defoliating disease, and in tomatoes there are early blight, late blight, southern blight add infinitum! Proper crop rotation is key to preventing any plant disease, so keep this in mind for next year. Of course, I'm sure you already know all about that as it sounds like you've had plenty of farming in your background! Another Phytophthora you might have experienced in your Tobacco farming past is Black Shank. It can do a number on tobacco, and causes that stunted growth, darkened stems and withered leaves, and a "disking" in the stem where it looks like a stack of poker chips in the stalk.d

wordwiz said:
Kevin,

I'm surprised the commercial growers didn't take steps to make sure their plants were not infected. All my plants came from seeds and thankfully, no sight of blight has manifested itself.

Mike

They have started to remove the infected plants but to me that is to little to late.

Kevin

Kevin,

It's hard for me to rotate crops given the size of my garden and 90 percent of my garden is potatoes, peppers and tomatoes, all members of the Solanaceae family!

That's another reason I will be sure to overwinter the ground with wheat, it seems to help.

Mike

wordwiz said:
Kevin,

It's hard for me to rotate crops given the size of my garden and 90 percent of my garden is potatoes, peppers and tomatoes, all members of the Solanaceae family!

That's another reason I will be sure to overwinter the ground with wheat, it seems to help.

Mike

Hey Mike,

Thats a good idea. Hope you have a great harvest.

Kevin

Kevin,

I swear by wheat. I had always wanted to sow it but until last fall, I always had (valid) reasons why I couldn't/didn't. Even last year, I was late doing it because I wanted to harvest every tomato I could.

The cost is maybe $1 per 100 sq. ft. Besides protecting against erosion and helping to choke out weeds in early spring, it returns huge amounts of nitrogen to the ground, the blades, that can easily reach 2-2.5 feet tall by late April can be mowed and added with leaves left from fall for a fast working compost and the roots tilled into the dirt for additional organic matter.

I've added only 18 pounds of 12-12-12 fertilizer to my 900 sq. ft, and that was the first week of May - two weeks before anything was planted. My plants love the dirt. I still need to trim a bunch of bottom leaves - tomorrow is pretty much my day off and I hope to accomplish that.

Mike

Back