• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Tomato Blight

I am having issues with blight on my two tomato plants. It looks like a nearby tree is showing some signs of blight on the leaves (brown spots). Could this cause blight on nearby tomato plants? The tomato plants are on a deck that is only a couple feet from the tree's leaves. I notice that some nearby fatalii plants have a little bit of spotting on the leaves, but they seem to be more resistant than the tomatoes.

Possibly. If you're concerned, try some copper soap or a product like Serenade. Both are OMRI listed, considered organic I believe. I used some Concern copper soap to knock down some suspected blight and bacterial spot. It actually saved some plants, no question in my mind.

Ciao Steve-

New England's got a bad case of Late Blight this year. It's spread by spores and that's the good news because it does not go dormant in the soil. The bad news, though, is that if you don't prune the affected leaves off right away, it spreads rapidly. Again, though, if you are able to do this with all of the affected leaves, you have a good chance to save your plants and get a harvest. Do NOT compost those leaves, but burn them if your city allows it. If you can't burn them, get them off your property immediately. I have a good friend in CT who's had horrible issues with Late Blight this year, but he got in there with the wheelbarrow and defoliated his plants as soon as he noticed it and they're recovering now. Many prayers for a warm, dry remainder of your season.

Copper sprays are a useful preventative measure for early blight, but I don't think it helps much with late blight, and I believe it should be applied before any problems arise

I highly doubt that the blight from surrounding trees is causing problems with your tomatoes. 99.9% of tomato diseases only affect solanaceous crops, ruling out most if not all trees. There are one or two diseases that can come from trees, but these usually aren't terribly destructive.

Where on the plants are you seeing the blight? Lower leaves only, or are all levels of the plants infected? Also, what do the lesions (spots) look like? A pic or two might help in diagnosis.

If you want to go the organic route, Serenade and copper are probably your only options for fungal diseases. Neem oil has been proven effective on some fungi, but it's also phytotoxic to tomato plants unless it's EXTREMELY diluted, probably to the point of ineffectiveness against disease.

Otherwise, if you don't mind a conventional fungicide, a chemical branded "Bravo" which is a chemical called Chlorothalanil, is effective on most fungal diseases of tomatoes. Not 100% sure about the late blight pathogen, which is Phytophthora infestans.

Thanks for the replies! I will try to get a picture this weekend. Last year was my first growing season for peppers and tomatoes, and everything went well and disease-free. This year, however, I have blight on the tomatoes and aphids on the peppers. Not really cool!

Blight pictures

Overall shot of blight:
23j04zq.jpg

Blight detail:
4illht.jpg

More blight detail:
2rystg2.jpg

Not looking good, is it?

I had a rocoto doin the same thing. And some other plants. The rocoto in particular looked like it was on its way out for good. Sprayed it with Concern copper soap (sprayed in the evening just in case of any photo toxicity whatever that is- didn't want to burn the leaves by spraying in broad daylight, etc) Anyway, what ever it was, looked like what you have- it stopped. I guess that's a pepper, not tomato. Did use it on a Roma for suspected bacterial spot, and all is well now. It obviously won't save any leaves that are done, but I think it can contain it.

Here's a couple crappy night pics I just took. First one is an old straggler probably blighted leaf. Almost every one looked like this. Many were worse off. All the rest is new healthy growth.

IMG_3561.jpg

IMG_3559.jpg

This is just one of several plants I have saved. Not sure if it was the copper or not. If it wasn't I guess it was a miracle, cause I didn't use anything else and the plant was nearly gone a few weeks ago.

Best of luck beating it!

Thanks. I have some copper, so i'll treat tomorrow night. I have some holes in the leaves like your pics show, too.

My toms have a bit of this and the 2 chillis I put outside near them. I thought it was just the rain and bad weather getting them.

Whats the big deal with it - its not going to kill them is it?

Back