• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Tomato Harvest

Yesterday was another pickin day. It brought my total for the week to 89 pounds, 530 on the year. Had I picked the Riesentraubes and Red Zebra I would have been over 100 pounds. The Ries isn't hardly worth the effort - not much juice and the Zebra I am saving as they are for juice and yesterday's gathering was for whole tomatoes to can.

I'm liking the Delicious - nice size, decent taste, uniform ripening, good production per plant. Next year, I'll probably have only those, the Red Zebra, either Legend or Siletz (both early season but I know the Siletz has the best taste of any tomato I have tried) and perhaps one of the hybrids I am experimenting with this fall/winter.

Mike

Production is slowing down, only about 70 pounds this week, though there may be another 10-15 pounds on the plants that I haven't picked yet. Puts me over 600 pounds for the season though! 750 pounds is still possible - maybe probable as the temps are suppose to be no lower than 54 in the next week.

In the last couple of days, I have harvested maybe 10-11 pounds of green tomatoes. Linda loves them and I'm slicing then freezing them. If nothing else, we should eat decently this winter, at least as far as veggies go!

Mike

I can't imagine that many tomatoes!!! I've had more than enough (but it took until August to get the first one) from the 20-ish plants that my GF and I planted. About 3 cases of canned tomatoes, and another load waiting for the canner.

Anyway, the freezing the green tomatoes....that work well for fried green tomatoes? How's the moisture / texture after freezing and thawing them?

tsheets,

I don't have a clue!!! This is the first year I have tried it. I'll let you know in a month or two, though!

Mike

Can I eke out another 100 pounds?

I'm up to 649 pounds so far and 750 on the year has a nice sound to it. Not that I am going to use any more except the Romas - to make salsa. But I can give them away.

But whatever the harvest is, I'm not waiting much longer. I want to clear the garden and get a cover crop sown.

Mike

Dropped some basil off to a restaurant this morning (I've sold him $117 worth so far) and now he wants tomatoes! $1 per pound. Sooooo..... I may let the garden go a bit longer!

Mike

so much for that idea. :(

It started raining last Sunday at about 10 am and it has rained every day since, except for today. The result is pounds and pounds of tomatoes rotting on the vine, or even falling off. I'm up to 715 pounds and may make it to 750 but I doubt it. But... I did learn I can use green tomatoes to make salsa and I have a bunch of them still on the vines.

Mike

Potawie,

Would you believe it - I don't have a picture of any tomatoes since the plants started producing fruit. I would have bet that I took a couple but most times it was I could do to pick and process them of an evening.

Mike

Back