• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Tomato question for the Yanks........?

Hi Guy's

This question is aimed particularly at my American cousins ๐Ÿค” ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ‘

In a civilised countries we eat our tomatoes "Red" ๐Ÿ˜‰ ๐Ÿ˜™

However I understand my American cousins eat "fried green tomatoes" ๐Ÿซฃ ๐Ÿ˜ณ ๐Ÿคข ๐Ÿคฎ

This is completely unheard of in the civilised world ๐Ÿ˜‰

However..............every days a school day and im open minded kind of guy here in Scotland we often run out of year to ripen all maner of fruits ๐Ÿ˜ž

A few years back I was playing with small determinate tomatoes varieties and tried a variety called Legend it grew well in pot's in my greenhouse but I planted on outdoors in a raised bed ......it grew huge ! The tomatoes ended up the size of apple's ๐Ÿ˜Ž but........I ran out of year .......again ! All I had was loads of green tomatoes ๐Ÿ˜ณ โ˜น๏ธ๐Ÿค”๐Ÿคฌ๐Ÿ˜ข like I said in civilised countries we don't eat such things so they were wasted ! I don't like wasting things its not in my nature.

Since then I've discovered a Russian intermediate variety called Grushovka, an early pink ox heart absolutely delicious ๐Ÿ˜‹

I'm growing it again this year and i will have too many ........this got me thinking about those outdoor wasted green tomatoes.

Question for my American bretheran how does one use green tomatoes ! ๐Ÿค” please educate me ๐Ÿ‘

Stephen

Last edited:
...how does one use green tomatoes !
Excellent answers from @Marturo and @Tinkerbelle. Although I haven't tried it, there's an old-school trick of wrapping them in newspaper and putting them under the bed (or a cool, dark place). They supposedly ripen slowly and will keep for weeks.

Now, just to confuse the situation, there is a group of tomatoes called GWR's - Green When Ripe. They stay green when they mature. They don't taste green, though. They taste like a tomato.๐Ÿ™‚

GWR grown in 2022 ( after doing a little research, I think this one might be Malichite Box)

Last edited:
Now, just to confuse the situation, there is a group of tomatoes called GWR's - Green When Ripe. They stay green when they mature. They don't taste green, though. They taste like a tomato.

We grow them every now & them mostly for fun, at the farmers markets you can have a fresh Mater sandwich either red or green.
City people sure gawk when they see a green Tomato on 2 slices of bread that is really ripe & sweet.

Among the GWR, I grew Northern Green, Malachite Box and Green Bee. Although they tasted good, I found they all had a noticeable tartness. Don't get me wrong here, they were good tomatoes but nowhere near the top of my personal list. To answer your question, I use most tomatoes the same way, regardless of their color, with the exception of cherries which I mostly eat raw as a side dish or dried for winter cooking.

As @Marturo wrote, itโ€™s always fun to watch your friendsโ€™ faces when you cut one up and add it to a salad!

I have heard of placing unripe fruit (not just tomatoes) in a bag with ripe apples to speed up the ripening. Search for Ethylene gas and ripening.

When I have unripened tomatoes, given they are full size and not still growing, I will place them in a north facing window where they can receive indirect or reflected sunlight. They usually ripe in a week or so.

I remember reading a couple years ago that capsicum is the only fruit that will ripen from fully green, others like tomatoes won't. But if it's even started a little, it will ripen.

As for fried green tomatoes - being green and harder, they stand up better when fried so still have some texture.

Back