• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Tomato Zits

Some of the branches on my tomatoes have green or white bumps all over them (the horizontal branch in photo below. Not the vertical green plastic stake which also has bumps). Some of the white bumps have elongated a bit. Is this normal?

IMG_1104.jpg

Those are like little pre-roots. If you take a cutting at the base of these, roots will form very quickly.

Yes, I believe "pre-roots" is a good name for it...
I don't think it's a problem at all, although I experience this mostly on plants that need more space for their roots, a larger container for instance...

I have a question, why would those pre-roots/bumps form higher up on the plants stems instead of forming those bumps on the main stalk closer to the ground.
its not like the plant would be able to grow roots that far up on the plant if it was needed for a bigger roots system, since they're farther away from the soil.

chilehunter said:
I have a question, why would those pre-roots/bumps form higher up on the plants stems instead of forming those bumps on the main stalk closer to the ground.
its not like the plant would be able to grow roots that far up on the plant if it was needed for a bigger roots system, since they're farther away from the soil.

Just a guess, but maybe if it wasnt artificially supported it would be closer to/on the ground.

root primordia google search

im no expert o this but did a quick google search for you and a lot of people are saying that it is root primordia.

Howdy,

Tomatoes are know to root very readily! When young you grow them real leggy and then plant up to the first set of leaves,and then let it grow a bit more, and then transplant again up to the leaves, thus making a stronger root system. Tomatoes will try to root as much as possible.

Those maters look good!

I didnt know tomatoes were able to reroot from their branches that were touching the soil. so I take certain tomatoes are able to keep spreading through this kind of growing & rerooting if left to grow natural (not in a cage)

So how come people prop them up in cages instead of spreading out like a bush? I would think more roots would allow the plant to get bigger and produce more.

RedThumb said:
So how come people prop them up in cages instead of spreading out like a bush? I would think more roots would allow the plant to get bigger and produce more.

Because it's a mess, and every crawling insect in the world munches on the tomatoes. Plus increased contact with the soil means more chances for soil borne diseases.

That being said, there are a few people out there who let their tomato vines run. They must have more space or fewer slugs than I do. I didn't get some of mine caged fast enough, and I've been afraid to mess with them now that they're covered in tomatoes, but boy am I fighting a battle to get to the tomatoes first.

Back