• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Tomatoes have purple stems

My tomatoes seedlings have purple stems? I'm just watering them currently with tap water, and its been 50s outside at night and 80s during the day recently. Are they not getting proper nutrients?

Thanks

Maybe they're cold? My girlfriend's lips turn purple when she's cold.:lol:

Seriously, it's nothing, probably an attribute of the strain. What kind are you growing?

How large are they?

My tomatoes had purple stems/leaves until they were on the second set of "branches." They were about 6 inches tall before they began growing non-purple foliage.

I notice this randomly on my peppers, both leaves and stems, or stem alone, or leaves alone, randomly purple. Doesn't seem to harm them!

They seem to have stopped growing thou? Granted it was pretty gloomy and rainy the past week,a nd just now its been over 75 most days.

I've noticed ALL of my tomato plants have purplish leaves & stems this year.
They're pretty, but I too am worried, a little. Mine are still inside, in the containers I started them in. they're still growing nicely though.

I've mixed a solution of worm poop and water, thinking maybe they need more nutrients. Also experimenting with more light during the day too.

newhotstuff said:
I've mixed a solution of worm poop and water, thinking maybe they need more nutrients. Also experimenting with more light during the day too.

I couldn't help but giggle at the words "worm poop." I think it is past my bedtime!

On another note, my tomato plants grew out of the purple look and they definitely didn't seem to have stunted growth, as now they are probably around 1.5 feet tall.

Back