• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Tomatoes not looking great

Some of my tomatoes don't look all that great to me. They don't seem green enough to me. And some of the leaves have a little purple on them.

The first picture is a Jetsetter VFFNTA Hybrid. It shows a little purple on some leaves. The second picture is a Juliet Hybrid. No purple but looks light green to me , same as the Jetsetter. They both look alike . The third is a Martino's Roma which looks much better to me.

Anyone have any ideas about what may be wrong with these?

Thanks & Peace,
P. Dreadie

Jetsetter.jpg

JulietHybrid.jpg

Martinos.jpg

franzb69 ..... guess that was part of my question. Do these look green enough ? The Martino's look pretty green , but the others looked a little light in color to me. It is the first time for me to grow any of these.

Silver_Surfer ..... I mixed in around a cup of gypsum for calcium into the 18 gallon totes the tomatoes are planted in. First time to use gypsum so I don't know if I used enough. I went to a nursery here they didn't have calcium nitrate , but they had a product called "Yield Booster". It says it helps to prevent "Blossom End Rot". Calcium is derived from Calcium Chloride. It also says do not use more than recommended amounts or it may harm your plants. I hate reading stuff like that ......

Thanks & Peace,
P. Dreadie

Gypsum may take a while to be affective.
Your plants look pretty good to me but may need a bit of calcium and/or nitrogen. What kind of soil and nutrients are you using?

Hello POTAWIE .... My soil is Freti-Lome Ultimate. It's a pretty good basic potting soil mix. The gypsum package stated "fast acting" .... but I don't know if that was in geological time. I used two tablespoons Tomato-Tone about month ago when I transplanted them.

Peace,
P. Dreadie

PD,

I love your choice of products. I use Ferti-lome and Tomato-Tone too. But if you don't add some "substance" to the potting mix, something like a bit of clay soil, the toms (and peppers) never seem to produce as well as expected. My understanding is that most potting mixes have a low Cation Exchange Capacity (CEC) which means that plants have a harder time uptaking nutrients.

Some of my soil is like that - seedlings grew great but once the plants got to the stage where they ought to flower or set fruit - they basically gave up the ghost. If I added compost tea every other day or so, they did okay but overall the grow was a failure.

These days, I mix Fertilome with unfinished compost and dirt. for my container plants. I also add about two tablespoons TT to a six-gallon pot.

Mike

Back