• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Tomatoes - Sowed some today

Pepperfreak said:
Sounds like a bunch of tomatoes. You must have a bigger yard than me. And, fresh garden salsa is the best!

Actually, most of them are for sale. I'm only planning on growing about 45-55, depending on how many will fit in a row. The Green Sausage is my salsa tomato and I can plant those much closer than other toms.

Mike

Getting closer to being finished transplanting. Moved another 144 plants today, that brings the total to 885.

When all is said and done, I should have about 1100 plants growing.

Mike

Cubby Fan (I hope!)

I plan only transplanting about 90 or so of the plants I'm growing into my garden - I need to sell the rest.

Mike

A bunch of neighborhoods/communities in the middle of Hamilton County, OH (Cincinnati). I plan on advertising them in my newspaper, along with a description of the plant, letting senior citizen groups know they are for sale and possibly advertising on Craigs List. I also started a Farmer's Market where I hope to sell some.

My first sale will start in about two weeks, though Frost Free day is not until May 15. The toms are called Siletz, a determinate, early season plant. The hope is to sell maybe 50 of these to people who don't want to wait until the Fourth of July for a vine ripe mater. Buyers can grow these in a container on their porch or patio. If they use a small cage and frost is forecast, they can easily drape an old blanket or plastic over the cage. Even if a hard freeze is forecast, and there may be one or two, the container and plant can be moved inside.

I'm nicknaming them Flag Day tomatoes - if they transplant them the first of April, that would give them 75 days and Siletz is suppose to take from 55-70. I have one at the office that was put in the hydro bucket Feb. 10 or so.

Mike

Ciao Mike-

Have you grown Siletz before? I have seeds, but I've not grown it as yet. I have other earlies that are moving through the rotation faster. What other earlies have you grown? I'm growing Bloody Butcher for the first year on strong recommendation from friends. Another good one for short seasons is Kotlas.

Sorellina,

Alas, I have not. But I've done a lot of searching for opinions and of course, they are not 100 percent positive, but almost everyone likes them. Since I don't have room to sow a huge number of different types. I have Beefsteak and Red Delicious which are well known here, Red Zebra that is very prolific and a great juicer, Roma for those who want that type, Green Zebra which I grew and love for salsa, Riesentraube for my cherry type, and Golden Monarch for those who want a yellow one. Another reason for the Siletz is it is supposed to be parthenocarpic, meaning I should be able to get fruit without the need for birds, bees or shaking the plants. If the plants produce close to what I hope and expect, I want to set up a small greenhouse operation and sell them year-round.

Mike

Back