• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Tommys South Texas Glog 16

ok so I figure it's a little late for a glog, so here's what I've been up to in the past year. Starting with the last pic of the babies under lights before they moved outside. Might need some bumpage, quite a few pics.

FTRI6na.jpg

7ufxFnd.jpg

nx8KVi5.jpg

uBIk5Fh.jpg

awCQWbE.jpg

GJTqRM4.jpg

rUSheBS.jpg

rupSBvN.jpg

b1Nil3V.jpg

More pepper pics to follow!

Well it's that time in Texas where H-E-B goes crazy with Hatch Chile products. So I took advantage and bought about a dozen Chiles to make a sauce. I grill roasted the hatch chiles, some tomatillos, and some jalapenos while smoking a bunch more jalapenos along with some garlic, onion, and a handful of peppers from the garden that were picked while green. Blended with 4 limes minus the peels, a bit of fresh ginger, Agave nectar, White Vinegar, cilantro and sea salt. Came out pretty Damn good. It was more rounded and mild than I expected, no one flavor stood out from the next. Its gone great with chips and bbq chicken tacos so far. I imagine it'll be my go-to for Mexican food.

FKZcBIK.jpg

So I've been having something going on with my chocolate Bhut plant. It was pretty productive in the spring, but after it stopped producing when the heat came along, it's just been super wilty. It receives the same water and feeding as the other plants, and even today after a couple days of scattered showers it just hasn't perked up. There aren't any signs of pests or disease that I can see, it's just sad looking while everything else is flowering and thriving. I even had to trim a few branches off because they had all but dried out and died. Any ideas?

Q0kJHCn.jpg

And a closer canopy shot

Q1Yd5V9.jpg

I have yet to get into the "hatch experience", but just asked LB to buy some this weekend to see what they're like.

As for the wilt. I've had a few do this this summer, like 6-8 plants. My thoughts are with the 6-8 weeks of 100° temps they gave it up. We try and keep the daily wilting plants alive during the "hell" season, and some just stop. I'm not sure if it's a disease or some kind of root issue from excessive heat and us keeping their feet wet. It could even be caused by grubs. Plenty of them around when it's been wet like this year. They've a big as large shrimp, just nasty critters eeww!

Devv said:
I have yet to get into the "hatch experience", but just asked LB to buy some this weekend to see what they're like.

As for the wilt. I've had a few do this this summer, like 6-8 plants. My thoughts are with the 6-8 weeks of 100° temps they gave it up. We try and keep the daily wilting plants alive during the "hell" season, and some just stop. I'm not sure if it's a disease or some kind of root issue from excessive heat and us keeping their feet wet. It could even be caused by grubs. Plenty of them around when it's been wet like this year. They've a big as large shrimp, just nasty critters eeww!
Oh man you're gonna dig the flavor on those hatch chiles. They're best when roasted, then just let em cool and peel the skin off with ease. The pulp is the reason behind the craze.
But you may be right on the heat kill. I haven't had really any issues with pests so far this year except for a few fuzzy black caterpillars. The milkweed assassin bugs, ladybugs, lizards, wasps and birds have really been helping me out this year

Just doing a little garden inspection with the hound. He loves creeping slowly under the low hanging datil branches. I did find some ants on my stubby purple Jalapeño plant, which led me to a few aphid. Gonna blast the Bastards in the morning with some cyonara spray. Only thing I've found that really works well. Up until now I've been completely organic, what a shame.

NrA5YiO.jpg

I hear ya with aphids, they show up this time of year at my place. We've been going after the ants big time.

Do you have the cut ants down there? I simply hate them.

Plants are looking really nice, and the weather is starting to cool here. ;)

Got in a little garden time with the pup today, found a damn near full grown chocolate hab that I've overlooked til now, so add that to the list of plants on the summer rebound. Won't be long til the freezers overflowing again. Everything is looking good, got blooms all around and honeybees workin em. A little leaf curl here and there, mostly on the beautiful SB7J bush that has yet to produce.

0bEFFg0.jpg

He loves that Datil

JhlxqqR.jpg

Here is my eastern side, left to right (south to north) Datil, Yellow Brain, tiny little Purple Jalapeño(zoom to the base of the brain and you'll see it), SB7J(zoom for the leaf curl, yet perfect canopy), Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion.

mc3MMWM.jpg

Here's the bloomage on Jay's PGS, with the towering Yellow MoA behind it.

Xn4r8ar.jpg

Bloomage on the Datil. This thing went nuts all spring, looks like I should have a repeat this fall.

You sir are in for a huge fall deluge of pods!

I lost quite a few plants during the summer, the spring plants, almost all were Urfa Beiber. LB likes to stuff them. I had about 8 germ and planted them all. I guess they don't like the heat here, that and a super wet season. I'm thinking more along the wet season as the roots looked horrible. They hit the dirt late and boom the rainiest year here since the early 90's. I spent many years getting the garden to tolerate the semi desert weather we normally have here....go figure.

But the fall crop is ready to rock!

I'm looking forward to seeing the harvests you get this fall!

Devv said:
You sir are in for a huge fall deluge of pods!

I lost quite a few plants during the summer, the spring plants, almost all were Urfa Beiber. LB likes to stuff them. I had about 8 germ and planted them all. I guess they don't like the heat here, that and a super wet season. I'm thinking more along the wet season as the roots looked horrible. They hit the dirt late and boom the rainiest year here since the early 90's. I spent many years getting the garden to tolerate the semi desert weather we normally have here....go figure.

But the fall crop is ready to rock!

I'm looking forward to seeing the harvests you get this fall!
Y'all sure did get a bunch of rain this year. We didn't get nearly as much, especially mid-summer, but I didn't have to water the bed til about June. If you can figure out how to keep the urfa's happy down here, I'd love to hear about it. I ended up pulling the chocolate fatalii that was right next to the chocolate ghost. Same issues on both plants. I pulled the purple Jalapeño due to another round of aphids, then hacked away at the lemon drop due to its spindly nature. Now that it's a little more open around it, I hope it recovers into a nice bush like last year. The MoA is packed with pods, the chocolate hab is getting there, the peach ghost scorpion is getting there in a bit of a slower fashion. Everything else is covered in blooms and busy honey bees. Now that the lows are getting below 80, I think I'm pretty close to all plants podding. Gonna give an Epsom salt spray and fish fert soak this evening, the Yellow Brain is showing some light veiny leaves. Until then, I'll be building a honeydew Datil sauce. Datil Dew. Plus some purees. Gotta clear out the freezer for more peppers, fish, and hopefully some dove pretty soon

While you're making puree, if you have any sweets, you can make a medium heat puree that has an outstanding flavor. Jimmy Nardello and Urfa Bieber are perfect additions. The Jimmy Nardello's do pretty well all summer here, they slack off during the hottest times but still set pods. I picked a few this weekend. The Urfa's I planted in the spring did well until as mentioned above we got all the rain and then heat. But the fall crop Urfa's are loaded down. Both of these peppers do well added to Fajitas to compliment any heat you may add. And don't forget the Poblano's ;)  Another nice sweet is the Kurtovska Kapija, I just call them kurk's. All of those are nice cooking peppers we add along with the hots. They just add more flavor and the level of heat is decided by the amount of hot peppers you add.

I agree, pods should be setting around now. I'm trying to get the nutes back into my plants after all that rain. Small does every few days, trying to get them to flower again ;)

So I can't figure out whats up with my yellow brainstrain. It did great in the spring and has looked decent all summer, but now even after a dose of Epsom and fish fert, it's super pale. It hasn't had any treatment that the other plants haven't had, yet it's the only one with the issue. Maybe y'all can help

Ts1ceMP.jpg

Here's a close up with my curly sb7j and Jay's PGS behind it

qEvnvBM.jpg

With all the rain we've had here I'm in the same boat. My plants were really well fed, but the nutes just leached on down. I just keep hitting them with half doses of Hasta Gro every three days when dry, and when the color starts to come back I wait. This weekend I gave them a dose of 1tbls Epsom salt, 1tsp calmag, 1/2oz seaweed extract, and 1/2oz of Hasta Gro per gallon in a foilar application, and it rained again. I keep hitting them and it keeps raining LOL.

But I see flowers!

Devv said:
With all the rain we've had here I'm in the same boat. My plants were really well fed, but the nutes just leached on down. I just keep hitting them with half doses of Hasta Gro every three days when dry, and when the color starts to come back I wait. This weekend I gave them a dose of 1tbls Epsom salt, 1tsp calmag, 1/2oz seaweed extract, and 1/2oz of Hasta Gro per gallon in a foilar application, and it rained again. I keep hitting them and it keeps raining LOL.

But I see flowers!
That's quite the concoction Scott! I'm still trying to find calmag locally, because I believe it may be a calcium issue. The Epsom and fish fert did nothing for this guys light color or the curled leaves in the sb7j. But I'll keep at it as soon as I find calmag. We haven't received nearly the rainfall y'all have, though the few downpours we do get have been substantial enough to keep me from watering the past couple weeks. The MoA is putting on new peppers every time I turn my back. Just picked 7 this evening, the first small harvest of the fall. I need everything else to hurry up before the predicted nasty winter gets here.

Back