• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Tons of big wood in promix

My potting mix is over 50% bark, but when I buy bags of bark, that's what I expect and when I buy Pro Mix at a premium price I expect a professional quality controlled mix that doesn't require screening.

that sux mojo kinda funny though i guess.

i agree silver surfer.
I use BX and have been through a few compressesd bails and some bails i might find a few sticks and some bails no sticks must just be one of theyre inconsistancies. maybe promix will send me a free bail if i get enough sticks in one bail?!

This is the first year that I've tried ProMix. I'm using HP and found the same pencil sized bits of wood in it like patrick. Not overly concerned about it, just kinda surprised.

The bits of wood don't bother me too much either. I do think it is a bit expensive as well but certainly worth it in terms of buying a bagged soil-less potting medium. For example check out what two cubic feet of Miracle Gro goes for...
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xgf/R-100355778/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053
Pro-mix is supposed to turn into about 7 loose cubic feet (I don't know if it actually does). On that basis it would cost $26.145 before tax to buy the same amount of Miracle Gro. I think the last time I bought a bale of pro-mix it cost me $29.98 before tax. With that being said, if the price began to rise I would probably end up mixing my own. After all, you can usually buy the Premier bales of peat at home depot for much less.
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xgf/R-100626048/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

With their prices they should start placing gold tickets in random bales. :)

lol. I think you're on to something. Free packet of Bhut seeds in every 50 bales.

The price can get a bit high, it's $25CAD here (approx $24USD) which isn't bad really when you consider what Josh said about adding up miracle grow and you're getting premium quality. But what I don't like is that they advertise the "uncompressed" amount as being almost double the amount that's in the bag. Once you water it, it's right back to same state. A bale is around 28 gallons, so even if you got a bit more out of it, you're still only getting 6 or 7 pots holding 5 gallons. It can get pricey for all the container gardeners.

Its 47.95 a 3 cu Bag here on the island two places to buy same price. I get 6 cu ft of coco coir for 10.95 that what I'm using now.

Back