• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification.

Too close to light?

question. I have about 14 plants under the lights right now. Once of them is a Birdseye. This plant in significantly out pacing the other peppers i have growing. The top leaves on it are very dark green and almost waxy looking. Also they top leaves tend to wilt and are curling a bit. Is it possible that since it is growing so much faster that it has grown too close to the lights? Or is it growing so fast that it needs different care than the others. i.e. watering, feeding... I am using two Cfls at the moment with a t5 on the way for when they get bigger. I am very inexperienced as you can tell.

The Beehunter

Too close to the light or heat can cause a wilted look, if the soil is somewhat dry and the plant rebounds with watering then its ok. If the leaves look dry , darkened and shriveled up then you may have an issue with over feeding. It's difficult to pin point without a picture. Different vatieties can take on a waxy/plastic look especially the c.chinense species. That's completely normal, the upward curling is not.

Greg

Thanks Greg. Thanks for the responce. Yea im not sure which of those it is. But here is some pics. I feel like maybe i did a poor representation of what im seeing but. here they are.

104_0228-1.jpg

104_0227.jpg

104_0226.jpg

Thanks. and from the pics i agree. damn maybe im just seeing things when i look at the plant. Im freakin paraniod i think.

But it does look much more "droopy" in person.

me either...

as far as distance from the light goes...use the "hand" method...put the back of your hand next to a light and see how close to it you can get without it burning the back of your hand...then back off about 1/2-1" for light to plant distance...

from what you wrote, I bet you are growing chinense and annuums under the same lights...annuums grow a lot faster than chinense and you may have to adjust the height of the plants to meet the light rather than lower/raise the light....hope that makes sense to you..

Yea makes perfect since AJ. After work today im gonna raise the others and try the hand method. Thanks for the responses guys.

The plants look fine, The "sprawling" look to the plant in photo #1 is due to how it is branching out. Not sure what tpye that is but it's growth pattern will take on that "willow" appearence. Photo #2 is taking on some vigorous growth, completely normal looking. Photo #3 is just a sign of a dull larger older leaf...

Greg

Back