• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Too hot for me

Hey Guys what does one do with a couple of jars of salsa that is way too hot (for me)  first time Iv'e made it got carried away. I made it with scorpions and ghost peppers. really hate to toss it.  can it be changed some how?  whats every ones thoughts?
:onfire: :hot:   :onfire:

If you BWBed it (boiling water bath- canning), youll have to reprocess it. Reprocessing within 24 hours is recommended (for safety). Id just bulk it up with more tomatoes, onion, garlic, bell peppers, etc. Just add more of whatever you made it with originally without the hot peppers this time. Make sure you re-check the pH level (4.6 or lower)! You could also try adding a little bit of sugar; sweet can cut the heat sometimes

:cheers:

Or, just muscle through it and get your tolerance up

MikeUSMC said:
bulk it up with more tomatoes, onion, garlic, bell peppers, etc. Just add more of whatever you made it with originally without the hot peppers this time. Make sure you re-check the pH level (4.6 or lower)! You could also try adding a little bit of sugar; sweet can cut the heat sometimes

Other than Mike's suggestion I'm drawing a blank? Anybody think raw potatoes might help? 

MikeUSMC said:
If you BWBed it (boiling water bath- canning), youll have to reprocess it. Reprocessing within 24 hours is recommended (for safety). Id just bulk it up with more tomatoes, onion, garlic, bell peppers, etc. Just add more of whatever you made it with originally without the hot peppers this time. Make sure you re-check the pH level (4.6 or lower)! You could also try adding a little bit of sugar; sweet can cut the heat sometimes

Or, just muscle through it and get your tolerance up
this is the best way, adding more of everything except the hot peppers. another way is buy an equal amount of mild salsa and mix it all together and that should reduce heat. either way use it quickly. :cheers:

MikeUSMC said:
I*ve heard of using potatoes for pulling excess salt out of a sauce (never worked for me), but not heat ;)

Anything*s possible though

It was salt?...... My bad! 

Vw0dNCD.jpg

Is the sauce really good besides the excess heat? Then just eat smaller amounts and your tolerance will definitely build up. I thought this sauce was too hot while I was cooking it once, and added another batch with bell pepper instead of superhot, and the sauce came out pretty mild. I was wishing I would have just left that batch extra hot when I was done

If it's too hot to power through, I'd dilute it in the way p3pp3rz suggests, by spooning some of it into a milder salsa rather than bulking up the whole batch.  If you have a fair amount it might take an awful lot of bulking to bring the heat down to where you want it.  Also, with spooning it in you can add a little more each time and kick up the spice if you want as you adjust to it.

Back