• Do you need help identifying a šŸŒ¶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? šŸ¤§
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

overwintering Too late for over wintering

Hello everyone,

I just had a question regarding overwintering.

I just got in some seeds from pepper joe and I am EXCITED to say the least he adds a nice touch of free seeds with every order.

My question is being in London Ontario our first frosts come as early as September sometimes, is it too late to start seedlings now to get big enough to have a good chance at surviving an overwinter( I know it's too late for pods) I do have a greenhouse at my new house (move in in October) so that will extend my season a bit.

Thanks guys!!

-Steve

I sowed malagueta, tepins and Bradley's Bahamian seeds on July 20th of last year and they are all doing fine. Ā I started CAP 691 plants on August 7th. Ā Despite being tiny, they survived the winter. Ā  I had a superhot started at the same time almost make it as well if not for aphids and my forgetting to water it. Ā The tepins are setting fruit and the CAP 691 are flowering already. Ā I began bringing my smaller plants in during the night late last September andĀ I live near Boston, MA so I'm not much south of you and I have no greenhouse - just T8 lights in the basement. Ā 
Ā 
Good luck with the plants!

My killing frost is from mid to late Oct and IĀ had some Trinidad scorpion seeds germinate in late November and just had some light from a south facing window till March, they were not much bigger than the seedsĀ I started in February. They were small ,but as soon as they were put under my lights they took off andĀ are now blooming and making pods, So I thinkĀ that the smaller the plant the easier they would over winter without having to chop them all the way back for the winter.

It would depend on what types you are growing as far as being too late for pods. I would still plant them and have plants to over winter. Just think of it as a 5 month head start over those of us that sow in November!

I am still sowing seeds I am putting all of my plants in 1 gallons. I have enough space to do around 30 plants year round and about 140 during the season so I can sow year round. The ones I don't keep year round I sow way early and keep them in various sized containers

annuum will be fine for sure .

try those cayenne and jalapeno that have a 60- to 90 days till harvest you will have more chance to get there in time before frost

Back