• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Too late to start seeds?

Hmmmm.
Depends.
Grew up there, and seems you could usually get to October without a hard freeze.
Well, maybe a week or so shorter on the South Hill and far east valley.
Prolly so in Hillyard and far north also.
Lower east side, Brownes Addition and "Felony Flats" should be O.K.

Might be a bit short for the longer ripening ones.
Have you considered using clones out of your overwinters?

Mega...?!

Get your grow on Dude!!!!!!!!!

(trust.....this Spring is gonna be wicked awesome for outdoor gardens in our area....take advantage of it....:D )

Is it too late? IMO - No. A couple years ago I started seeds back in early January. I was apparently treating them well, as they grew like weeds. I ended up having to pot up with limited room to do so. Frankly, it was a PITA, especially when it came time to harden them off, having to haul in and out much larger pots than intended.

It's still early March - as CJ said "Get your grow on, Dude!!!!" Give them plenty of light and warmth, and they'll do fine.

No!

I've used to start them in late March early April before I had greenhouse access and I always got ripe chiles, even from chinensis......you may not get a humongous harvest, but some kind of harvest none the less!

I'm in zone 5b. Last year I started a few extra seeds in mid March and after a couple months outside I couldn't tell the difference from my earlier starts.

I'd get on it, not that your late or anything, but the sooner the better.. I planted late last year in Toronto, and managed to get too many Bhuts and Habs to handle.

Back