• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Too Much Light on Jolokias?

My Jolokias are exactly one month old. theve been indoors in my closet. i have 2 small T8 flourescent lights shining on them 24 hours a day. is this too much light? should i turn them off at night?

You can keep the light on em 24/7 for about 6-7 weeks then you should reduce it to 18/6 or 20/4 after that. At least that is what I've been told.

pics of progress? We love pics

I felt like they were outgrowing their small cups so i bput them on this tray. i have to move them again before their roots start to entangle. I also noticed the the leaves were kind of crumbling into themselves. thats why i asked this question. if its not the light making this happen, is it too much water? or too little? soil? or is this normal?

<br><br>
jolokia002.JPG

<br>
jolokia003.JPG

#1-For a month old, they look DAMN good! So be very proud of that. #2-I could be wrong, but from what I understand, I THINK the leaf-curling is because of a lack of calcium. The leaves look pretty green and healthy, so I dont know what else to suggest. Im sure someone else can suggest something better.

Make sure the pan has good drainage. They don't really like to have wet and soggy roots.
Lookin' good. :)

Before you start supplementing are you fertizling them ? They are a bit young for a full mixture of ferts if at all - and I would give moments of darkness for the plants to rest maybe a 18/6 ratio of light to darkness

I have to agree with LUCKYDOG on the period of rest. In the distant past I have grown some other "vegetation" and went 20/4 after the first week because I was told they need the period of rest to build on a molecular level. I would do 24 hour for the first week then go to 20/4 for 7 weeks then work down to a 12/12 over the next 8 weeks.

Disclaimer: This will be the first year I have the proper setup for pepper starting indoors(always planted seed direct after frost in the past). I am not sure of the difference in starting peppers versus sweet leaf, but being vegetative I am pretty sure they would be similar. Fellow forum members will surely have much more in-depth advice.

Optimally(according to some studies) you want to go from 24 hours to 20 hours as stated and stay at 20. Going down to 12 hours is not ideal for chiles, its just providing less photosynthesis therefore less production in my opinion

Makes sense for starting them, then outdoors nature does the rest. What I grew in the past stayed indoors for it's whole life so I had to be nature and probably screwed it up some.

Do you have any drain holes in that pan? Your soil looks really, really wet. To me it looks like a combination of too much water (leaves are starting to yellow) and not enough calcium. It's good to let the soil dry out a bit before watering, and then don't over water when you do.

Yea there are studies that show optimal light times for the first 5-7 weeks is 24-7, then to bump it down to 14 hours on 8 hours off.

Curling can be a sign of too much light, but in my experience the leaves normally curl downward and not up. It's usually accompanied with burn looking blotches too, so I dunno...moisture may be something to look at. Just a guess though.

So far as lighting goes, I think you'll find an exepriment done on the gardenweb forums by a member named macheske very interesting. He provides side by side progressive comparison of 24/7 vs 16/7 lighting with pics. It's a very interesting string of posts that provides updates all the way through actual outdoor harvests. From the experiment, one could conclude that the 24/7 plants exhibited marked advantages even after being transferred outdoors.

There's a load of pics on this link so it may take time to load, but I think the read is worth the wait:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/lights/msg0319125925834.html

Back