• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Took 3 evenings to get all my peppers started!

Finally done. yawn. Now I am wishing I had started earlier. I have a bunch of last year's plant tags (cat litter tub strips cut in pieces) that say 'bhut 2/3'. I started chitting the superhots on 2/23 this year. Well I can't go back in time. I am hoping to get them out to the greenhouse when all the snow melts earlier than last year which really gets them ready.

Anyway I started 9 trays of hot and sweet peppers and a few early tomatoes and 1 tray eggplant. I will be planting about 60 hot pepper plants and 170 sweet pepper plants and selling the rest. Hopefully about 100 hot peppers and 80 sweet peppers at market and Craig's list.

I don't have enough heating pads to service 10 or more trays. So this is what I do now. I have 2 seed starting wire shelves and they are facing each other in my basement and have 2 shoplights on each shelf. To keep the cats out and the heat in I wrap the whole area in clear shower curtains. This makes a little plastic walled room. I have a heating fan normally in my den that I put in the 'room' to bring the temp up. That way I can warm all the trays at once. The cold veggies like onions and brassicas go to the top shelves far from the heat until they can go to the greenhouse. It is easier for me to start all the seeds but the superhots right in the cells. Sometimes I have to reseed some.

Sounds like a job. You sure putting the cold stuff on the top is the best? You may want to check your temps up there and compare them to someplace along the bottom away for the heat.

Hope to see some pics of your year and best of luck to you.

Sounds like a job. You sure putting the cold stuff on the top is the best? You may want to check your temps up there and compare them to someplace along the bottom away for the heat.

Hope to see some pics of your year and best of luck to you.

I know what you mean, heat rises. But the heater fan is on the floor and the top is open. I have to find my greenhouse thermometer and get some temps. I wonder where it is...

Back