Top 20 Pumpkin Ales as rated by Paste

ive had the shock top and blue moon dont like them.
ive had the terrapin,samuel adams and dogfish head,liked them.

That list is doohicky!

Samual adams harvest at #4! Blah.

Pumking at #20? Plah!

I do agree on the #1 for weyerbacher though, and do agree on the punkin at #2

I see Saranac! They missed that one on the list, in my opinion.

Can you post your order?

Your top order.

Yeah the keg-o-lantern is cool. :)

Dang JHP... That pumpkin tap is sweet.

You are lucky! I have not found that heavy seas pumpkin. I am curious what you think!

That Fat Jack SA brew was bleh also I thought.

Flavors in beer like that are sacrilege! :shame:

Oh really? Umm hops and barley are "flavors" and beer has a long history of brewing with more than just those two, including pumpkin!

"Far from being a modern invention of the craft beer scene, pumpkin beers have a long history in the US. Samuel Stearns' The American herbal; or, Materia medica (published in 1801), name-checked pumpkin beer just after porter and ale. Stearns considered pumpkin beer especially healthful, noting:

Different kinds of beer, ale, etc. are often prepared according to the prescriptions of the physicians, all of which, as well as pumpkin and bran beer, partake of the virtues of the ingredients put into such liquors."

History for ya.

I had a homebrewed wild blueberry stout (or porter) in Maine, hey, when in Rome, and it was awesome.

It's not like taking beer and adding flavor, these beers are brewed with the flavors, so open up your mind and try one. :)

I disagree, enjoy your anchor steam. :)

I don't drink that stuff.

It's not like taking beer and adding flavor, these beers are brewed with the flavors, so open up your mind and try one. :)

I have and I don't like them. Why do you think I mention Arrogant Bastard so much?
I like beer the way it was meant to be... hops, barley and water. Leave the flavors for the wine people. That's my opinion.

I don't drink that stuff.

I have and I don't like them. Why do you think I mention Arrogant Bastard so much?
I like beer the way it was meant to be... hops, barley and water. Leave the flavors for the wine people. That's my opinion.
the first beers never had hops in them! they would have had fruits ,spices,honey,diffrent plantsand spices,anything to have some "flavor"in fact some of the first beer we know about was rice and fruit,the rice was malted unlike the mold method they use for sake. so there you have it one could argue that beer was meant to have flavor

The colonist used pumpkin alot because the lack of barley. So you could say it's patriotic.

In fact the original Pumpkin Ales were made by the Pilgrims and in Colonial America. From www.history.org:

"The Pilgrim recipe was said to involve a mixture of persimmons, hops, maple syrup, and, of course, pumpkin. Further south in Virginia, planter Landon Carter mentions pumpkins in his diary in 1765. He, too, concocted some sort of alcoholic beverage from fermented pumpkins. He christened it pumperkin. Perhaps he used a method similar to an anonymous recipe of 1771:
Let the Pompion be beaten in a Trough and pressed as Apples. The expressed juice is to be boiled in a copper a considerable time and carefully skimmed that there may be no remains of the fibrous part of the pulp. After that intention is answered let the liquid be hopped culled fermented & casked as malt beer."

I might have to try making this sometime. Would be fun to play with.

The persimmons I hadn't heard of before. Considering their potental tartness they could replace hops.

I had a Samual Adams Octoberfest with my burger at Applebees tonight. It is somewhat flavored and still good so I guess I occasionally break my rules. :cheers:

Back