• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Topping makes me nervous....

I guess hacking up plants that you have lovingly nurchured over the months can be a little unsettling for a first timer...I guess I need help deciding if I should cut or not. I have a good 2.5 to 3 months of growing season left. Largest plants are about a foot tall. Smallest are just 3-4" tall. Should I do anything with them yet or at all? Trim some leaves, full blown topping, let nature take it's course?

Here's some pics of the plants just to get an idea....

YES!!! pinch'em off and let them rock
Its not that big of a deal really,makes some damn fine bushs that hold more pods
Come winter they are dirt anyways and then you do it again next season

Clip off those big shade leaves and resources will go else where
There is nothing to shade at the stage just let'em roll . . . . . . .

You have absolutely nothing to be afraid of. Those plants look very nice and healthy and will be even better after topping them. Go for it!

I top my plants. I know it is scary and hurts your feelings at first, but you will only benefit from it. All that energy will be redirected into branching out new limbs and they will explode with new growth.

i don't know what you will do , but i would definitely pull that yellow leaf off .  being only 2.5 / 3 months left . and your first grow i would leave them , the shoots will still grow out . just pull the leaves off that block any light to them . maybe top 2 .  i topped my jays peach scorpion / ghosts but with 6 months of grow left . i'll put a pick of one on in a minute .

I am going to be making the topping plunge here soon. Some really spindly plants hopefully will get reigned into some nice bushes. I'll be sure to take pictures.

Well...deed is done. Figured this was a good time. I watered them earlier today with a little fertilizer and now that the sun is down, they won't get beat up by the heat right after going on the chopping block. I didn't top any of them...just thinned out the bigger leaves and I removed any branches that were coming out of the base of the plant so they are all single stemmed. First cut was hardest...but got easier after that...lol

As far as growing season...I probably underestimated that. Really here we can grow into October...even November sometimes. It's just that the daylight fades earlier into September but there's usually no threat of frost until late Oct. or into Nov....most years.

heres my Jays  peach scorpion/ghost . i topped it in march .
IMG_1069.JPG

these 2 aren't topped , all the same age , one is ( judy's ) chocolate bhutlah , the other is yellow primo .
IMG_0689.JPG

IMG_0690.JPG

I consider topping a "step sideways" .
It will set the plant back a bit, and it will branch out in time anyway.

its the middle of winter here, and most of my plants have already been pulled & thrown in the compost already, but this one here was NOT topped, (and the fact it has no leaves) IMO shows quite well that they can and will branch out anyway.
non%20topped%20plant_zpsjeb0vv9c.jpg

nzchili said:
I consider topping a "step sideways" .
It will set the plant back a bit, and it will branch out in time anyway.

its the middle of winter here, and most of my plants have already been pulled & thrown in the compost already, but this one here was NOT topped, (and the fact it has no leaves) IMO shows quite well that they can and will branch out anyway.
non%20topped%20plant_zpsjeb0vv9c.jpg
hey ! is them chills i see hanging around ? lol

I was skeptical about topping. That is until in april one of my  foot tall butch t plants fell off a table and broke off 2" above the soil, nothing left on it but 1 leaf. Now it has about 30 pods forming and a good 100+ flowers definatly going to push out more pods then the other plants. I'm a convert, topping from now on for me.

They seem rather small.  If I ran the zoo, I'd wait a while and just encourage them to grow as much as possible.  Tearing off food producing leaves probably won't help that cause.

You might try giving some of them the FIM treatment in a few more weeks, then comparing the results over the rest of the season.  Next year, you'll have a better idea of what you want to do.

People on this forum top weird. Should be just pinching off the top newest growth at the node or fimming like geo mentioned. I see too many basically chopping plants in half at old growth stem with a bare stick poking out to sky. Smh

Twice the Spice said:
I was skeptical about topping. That is until in april one of my  foot tall butch t plants fell off a table and broke off 2" above the soil, nothing left on it but 1 leaf. Now it has about 30 pods forming and a good 100+ flowers definatly going to push out more pods then the other plants. I'm a convert, topping from now on for me.
topping is fine as long as you have a decent amount of grow time . 

Geonerd said:
They seem rather small.  If I ran the zoo, I'd wait a while and just encourage them to grow as much as possible.  Tearing off food producing leaves probably won't help that cause.

You might try giving some of them the FIM treatment in a few more weeks, then comparing the results over the rest of the season.  Next year, you'll have a better idea of what you want to do.
+ 1  i never pull lower leaves on such small plants . 

moruga welder said:
topping is fine as long as you have a decent amour of grow time . 

+ 1  i never pull lower leaves on such small plants . 

Oops, I think that was the wrong verb. 'Tearing' might suggest stripping most/all of the leaves. 

IMO, while a little FIM action is fine, radical 'topping' makes me cringe, and I'm not a fan of stripping under any normal circumstances.
Plants put a lot of effort into making leaves, to rob them of those resources can't be good.

Geonerd said:

Well...too late for that. I already chopped. Didn't top anything, just thinned out the leaves and exposed the small leaves that were being shaded by the older big leaves...some where not in great shape and needed removed anyways. I only did the largest (oldest) plants on the top row. The smaller plants I left alone and will let them grow more until I decide what to do with them. 

Leaves are the engine of photosynthesis. Cut them off and the engine stalls.
Topping however, forces the plant to make new tops---2 from every pinch.

I top my big ones at 3, 5, and 7 leaves-----smaller ones in flower pots I top for height whenever it suits me.

Naturally bushy peppers can get out of hand and need some support, but others seem to like it.

Just don't do much trimming when in flower.

IMHO, those were perfect looking plants, a topping would have made them branch out more before forking.
Yes, you removed the shading of the inner stem, but also removed the power source for promoting them to grow out.

Gotrox said:
Leaves are the engine of photosynthesis. Cut them off and the engine stalls.
Topping however, forces the plant to make new tops---2 from every pinch.

I top my big ones at 3, 5, and 7 leaves-----smaller ones in flower pots I top for height whenever it suits me.

Naturally bushy peppers can get out of hand and need some support, but others seem to like it.

Just don't do much trimming when in flower.

IMHO, those were perfect looking plants, a topping would have made them branch out more before forking.
Yes, you removed the shading of the inner stem, but also removed the power source for promoting them to grow out.
Oh well...live and learn. I didn't kill them at least. They look great today when I checked on them. Guess we'll see what happens now.

nubster said:

Well...too late for that. I already chopped. Didn't top anything, just thinned out the leaves and exposed the small leaves that were being shaded by the older big leaves...some where not in great shape and needed removed anyways. I only did the largest (oldest) plants on the top row. The smaller plants I left alone and will let them grow more until I decide what to do with them. 

Oh, THE HUMANITY!!  :scared:

:D

I'm sure they'll be fine.

Back