• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Topping plants at a young age.

It's an extremely debatable subject.  Some do, some don't.   Depending on how a variety grows,  say an Annuum,  have tendencies to grow rather tall with large internodes,  rather fast.  Might be good for some people to top an Annuum.  Chinense varieties really don't need to be topped.  They usually have a short bushy profile as it is.  This is a debate that could go on forever,  and I mean forever.  There is pros and cons to both sides.   

Wow guys, after seeing all these badass plants....I'm even more confused as to what method to use lol. If it helps any the strains I'm growing are the 7pot Jonah, Douglah, and, Carolina Reaper.

But wow.....those are outstanding crops.

Jamison said:
It's an extremely debatable subject.  Some do, some don't.   Depending on how a variety grows,  say an Annuum,  have tendencies to grow rather tall with large internodes,  rather fast.  Might be good for some people to top an Annuum.  Chinense varieties really don't need to be topped.  They usually have a short bushy profile as it is.  This is a debate that could go on forever,  and I mean forever.  There is pros and cons to both sides.   
Well said!

Jamison said:
I agree totally. Some annuums can get leggy if you let them,and if you don't have fans and strong lighting it is an option. They get started a month+ later here. I still believe there are basics to growing nice plants.

Untopped

13526493654_4b716d3db2_o.jpg

DO NOT TOP THEM YOUNG. I did this last year and lost 60plants. They just went dormant. I topped them ast about eight inches tall and they never kicked back in. eventually the stems turned brown and the plants died. I left them in pots and outside for a few months to make sure they were dead. After two and a half months no changes i trashed them. Wait until your plants are at least 24 inches tall before you top. And NEVER EVER top when your plants are stressed from repotting or harding off. Especially since it is now april. Topping will push your plants back at least three months. I have had bad experiances with topping last year, and this year. Last year i topped to early, and this year i topped when plants were stressed from REpotting/hardining, my plants havent grown a cm for the past 7weeks .

jjdillion said:
DO NOT TOP THEM YOUNG. I did this last year and lost 60plants. They just went dormant. I topped them ast about eight inches tall and they never kicked back in. eventually the stems turned brown and the plants died. I left them in pots and outside for a few months to make sure they were dead. After two and a half months no changes i trashed them. Wait until your plants are at least 24 inches tall before you top. And NEVER EVER top when your plants are stressed from repotting or harding off. Especially since it is now april. Topping will push your plants back at least three months. I have had bad experiances with topping last year, and this year. Last year i topped to early, and this year i topped when plants were stressed from REpotting/hardining, my plants havent grown a cm for the past 7weeks .
You obviously did something wrong.  Topping doesn't kill plants. 

jjdillion said:
My story is anecdotal, so it's not good evidence, but every plant I've had I've topped save for my first. Every time I top below the third node, leaving two sets of true leaves. Every time the plant bounces back like mad. I think your plants were shocked and died from something else.

SciurusDoomus said:
My story is anecdotal, so it's not good evidence, but every plant I've had I've topped save for my first. Every time I top below the third node, leaving two sets of true leaves. Every time the plant bounces back like mad. I think your plants were shocked and died from something else.

Bingo! That or they were cut way too short. 1/3 of the plant or third/fourth node are good rules of thumb, I look for a high node with strong secondary growth.

Back