• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

indoor Total beginner looking to grow indoors

That dude is a little goofy but damn is he helpful lol I'm really happy to see a organic approach to indoor grow, bringing in as much natural stuff you can into something totally unnatural. He really awnsered a lot of questions be he created some new ones. He's making me rethink my lighting. The t5's no doubt are a tremendous product but can achieve fruit bearing plants with simple house hold floresents like he a appears to have done? If so it would reduce the cost massively as I have many resources on hand to build anything under the sun. After watching his video I have a idea to build a suitable (theoretically at least) grow area with in a small area. Basiclly build a 4x3 about 40" tall box out of treated and painted flat white plywood maybe with plexiglass doors in the front. The floor of the enclosure can be adjustable if it's just a tray with notches along the sides in 3" to 5" increments to adjust of a growing canopy, just move it down a notch when needed. Put two maybe three floresent 85w bulbs in there on a timer of course, should work shouldn't it? On paper a well contained area like that should provide plenty of heat and light for my plants, hold humidity well and be compact and easy to keep. Plus the cherry on top is I can likely build three of these boxes up and running for the cost of one of the badass T5 8 bulb lamps. I doubt this in anyway is a original idea but I guess would it work in your guys more experienced opinions?? If you can understand my construction based ramblings above lol

Humidity is the devil when it comes to pepper plants. After germination (when you need lots of humidity to keep your seeds moist). You actually want to keep the humidity down bye watering from the bottom up and using a fan to keep air circulating in the room. Helps the plants grow strong bye simulating wind and dries out the top of the soil keeping fungus an mold at bay. As the plants aspire water bye evaporation from there leave surface they draw up more water from there roots and take in more nutrients (Grow faster ). I haven't been keeping an eye on the actual humidity in my grow area but I just put two humidity gauges in with the plants and is at 43%. The less humidity the more you'll have to water. More humidity less you'll water. But more humidity more bad pepper mumbo jumbo

Okay thanks for your reply.

Next winter will be quite dry, and even dryer in my appartment. Maybe around 35-40%. Also thanks for the ventilation tips, i will run a lil fan next to my setup :-)

Problem w/ CFLs is you have a point source shedding light 360x360°. Sure you can make a nice reflective hood to channel the light (plenty of tutorials on youtube).
But I would think that T8s come out on top in terms of installation costs + time + replacement costs + utility bills, without going through all the math.
CFL bulbs with adequate brightness and the right color spectrum are actually pretty expensive, although you can use any old lamp fixture.
Check out the grow tech section.

*edit: yes, I'm proposing T8s instead of T5s.

Back