• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

TOTAL GROWING PHILOSOPHY UPHEAVAL

For the first year, I plan to grow fewer varieties next year......a total reversal from the last 3 years.

MY GOAL IS TO STOP SPROUTING SEEDS ALMOST ENTIRELY....

I want to:

OVERWINTER my favorite 7-8 varieties........

CLONE my 3 year old plants........that have probably lived out their useful lives.

SPROUT the odd 1 or 2 varieties that I really want to try.

Frustration with cross pollination, and an overall feeling that I love 7 or 8 varieties, and have 25 or so other plants that bear fruit that is just OK, has led me to this plan.

KEEPERS

7 POT red
Jalapeno M red
Big sun SB yellow
Mustard hab yellow
chocolate SB brown
Aji Lemon yellow
Italian roaster red
Orange Hab duh (;))
Jalabanero red

Suggestions for my 1 or 2 spots for other varieties welcome. Sorry, Fatali is out.:(

Novacastrian said:
Yellow 7-pot.

Given my fondness for yellow peppers, that is a winner! Thanks.

chilliman said:
Scorpions

Found them to be really similar to the 7 pot.

stillmanz said:
why no Fatalii?

Mine this year was a poor producer, and the flavor and heat were just OK.

FadeToBlack said:
Yellow Scotch Bonnets

The big sun SB is a fantastic yellow scotch bonnet, but the yellow SB is probably worth a try.

No suggestions on what you should do really, but I have to agree w/ the philosophy of scaling back. I grew a ton of crap I just didn't have time to deal with or I just got over real quick.

Next year will be all superhots and C. pubescens.

boutros said:
No suggestions on what you should do really, but I have to agree w/ the philosophy of scaling back. I grew a ton of crap I just didn't have time to deal with or I just got over real quick.

Next year will be all superhots and C. pubescens.

I was at that point last year.

All superhots gets old too.

Powder is now a main focus for me.

Flavor, heat, production. Those are the main traits for appreciating peppers.

Superhots all lack Super flavor for me. I love them, but the Big Sun SB is the hottest
I have grown with fantastic flavor.

The 7 pot's flavor is fantastic with cheese, Naga with garlic or mango, scorpion was so close to the 7 pot, I phased it out.

Bhut is a naga? still up in the air for me.

I will reach a point where I have a set of plants I overwinter and grow for 2-3 years with no sprouting.

I'm also going to scale back next year. Way to many plants to deal with and also produced more peppers than I can eat. There's tons in my freezer and stuff drying for powder. BUT when January rolls around I'll get really excited and start sprouting all these new varieties. Then I'll be stuck with a shitload again. Oh well, so goes the hot pepper addiction.

KEEPERS

7 POT red
Jalapeno M red
Big sun SB yellow
Mustard hab yellow
chocolate SB brown
Aji Lemon yellow
Italian roaster red
Orange Hab duh ()
Jalabanero red

you seem to like the scotch bonnet variety, Is it the flavor mostly?
do you have any pictures of these pods you could post ---> big sun SB, the jalabanero red, italian roaster, I am unfamiliar with these varieties, just curious what makes these special?

I think a suggestion maybe white hab a heavy producer nice smokey flavor and has a nice heat.

The big sun SB has less c chinense citrus to it. The chocolate has tons.

They are very different, so I don't think I like SB's in particular more than habs.

cheezydemon said:
I will have as many plants, just fewer varieties....

I agree totally cheezy, the first years are for growing lots of different variety to find your favorites. I have too many red c. chinense and can't tell them apart after picking. I want more mild stuffing or popper peppers along with my seven pods, the whole heat scale. You should give the Fatalii another try with different seed stock, my favorite hot yellow pepper by far. I also plan of purging my own seed stock after I sow again. As for overwintering year after year it sounds like a great idea, but in reality with the number of plants we like to grow is damn near impossible. I actually really like the whole process every year from seed and will overwinter only a handful is all.

How different are the chocolate SB browns from a regular chocolate hab?
Can't speak to the flavor of the choccy sb, but the choccy hab blew me away with flavor and aroma.

As far as production goes, my red devil's tongue out produced everything else in my garden by a huge margin (except for those frakkin tabascos which are so fruitful they're bloody annoying). Good heat and flavor, too.

I'm once again scaling back on my superhots since I hope to start selling more peppers next year, and I'm going to grow ornamentals again but just for sales.
As for the chocolate SB and regular chocolate hab, from my experience they are both nearly identical and probably both congos and not habs or SBs. It seems almost every brown chinense(and other colors) gets named a SB or a hab, or in this case both;) They are both very hot and pungent with a unique flavor

cheezydemon said:
The big sun SB has less c chinense citrus to it.

Does this pepper have a less potent chinense odor? I love chinense heat and flavor but some of them overpower my food with that smell.

I've been looking for a less aromatic chinense but with the same scorching heat.

Noshownate said:
thanx cheez

:cheers:

Pepper Ridge Farm said:
I agree totally cheezy, the first years are for growing lots of different variety to find your favorites. I have too many red c. chinense and can't tell them apart after picking. I want more mild stuffing or popper peppers along with my seven pods, the whole heat scale. You should give the Fatalii another try with different seed stock, my favorite hot yellow pepper by far. I also plan of purging my own seed stock after I sow again. As for overwintering year after year it sounds like a great idea, but in reality with the number of plants we like to grow is damn near impossible. I actually really like the whole process every year from seed and will overwinter only a handful is all.

You are probably right, overwintered plants take up way more space than sprouts.

Skydiver said:
How different are the chocolate SB browns from a regular chocolate hab?
Can't speak to the flavor of the choccy sb, but the choccy hab blew me away with flavor and aroma.

As far as production goes, my red devil's tongue out produced everything else in my garden by a huge margin (except for those frakkin tabascos which are so fruitful they're bloody annoying). Good heat and flavor, too.

I need to try the devil's tongue, like Potowie said, all are probably misnamed.

The one I grew produced like a champ, had tons of c chinense flavor and aroma, and blistering heat. Never had a chocolate hab.

Diabolus said:
Does this pepper have a less potent chinense odor? I love chinense heat and flavor but some of them overpower my food with that smell.

I've been looking for a less aromatic chinense but with the same scorching heat.

The Big Sun SB has less c chinense aroma than most, great flavor, less c chinense citrusy twang. Great Burn.

Back