• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Total Newbie Needs Advice

Hi There,

I am new to this hobby so please be gentle. I have some seedlings started from one of those generic hot pepper seed packages. Currently, they are only using natural light. They are all about 1-2 inches tall.

Here are a couple of questions:
- When should I move them to bigger container?
- Should the new container be only slightly bigger or can
I move them to a much larger pot?
- Are there any web links that I should have found instead of posting these questions here?
- Should I be considering alternative an light source until I can move outside?
- Can I use regular light bulbs instead of these ultra fancy setups you guys seem to have?

Again, please forgive my ignorance.

thanks,
John

Regular lights should be fine. You may not want to pot them up if you are going to plant out in a couple of weeks.(assuming that you will put them in the ground)

There are tons of informational sites, but there is more than enough knowledge here.

Ask away!

Thanks for the quick response. I don't think I am going to plant them inground this year. I am not too sure about my soil and feel that if they can stay in pots I would prefer that.

I'm no expert but...

JJBagoose said:
Here are a couple of questions:
- When should I move them to bigger container?
When they seem to be too big for the container they are currently in. Some people put the plants immediatley to final containter after germination, others perfer a more gradual approach.

JJBagoose said:
- Should I be considering alternative an light source until I can move outside?
You can consider anything you want. Setting plants in or next to a window seal works for some people.

JJBagoose said:
- Can I use regular light bulbs instead of these ultra fancy setups you guys seem to have?
You don't need a fancy setup, you can use fluorescents or compat fluorescents lights (cfl, those twirly lights)

Hmmmm.....peppers are happy in poor soil. It is possible to grow good plants in pots, but a first year plant in the ground will almost always outdo one in a pot. As much as doubled in some of my experiments.

DrHavanger said:
I'm no expert but...
You don't need a fancy setup, you can use fluorescents or compat fluorescents lights (cfl, those twirly lights)

Well this is good to know. I just bought some of those CFLs because they were on super sale for earth day. They are 100 watts each and was wondering if I could use these.

cheezydemon said:
Hmmmm.....peppers are happy in poor soil. It is possible to grow good plants in pots, but a first year plant in the ground will almost always outdo one in a pot. As much as doubled in some of my experiments.

OK thanks for this info. See I was a bit worried about my soil because a chemical factory used to exist about 300 yards from my home. I am a bit scared about using my soil to grow veggies :(

:shocked:

Yeah, that might be a concern.

300 yards? That would be one hell of an unsecured leak, but what do I know!

In that case, the bigger the container the better when all is said and done.

I am not saying that it is a valid concern but more being overly cautious. Who knows what kind of stuff they used to dump in the ground :shocked:

Back