• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Total Noob Pepper plant questions

Ok I am totally new to growing peppers and have no real clue as to what I am doing besides reading alot of stuff.
I have a garden that I have misc peppers in I have some Scorpion Butch t's some Habaneros some Ghost peppers
Some of which are growing but very slow the start of germination for the Ghost peppers where in May the other planets I bought
from a local growers market. So i have some questions about the health of the plants. I have corrected the over water issue that I think was a issue early.

This is a Ghost pepper planet I see some small buds but that is it and its only about 6-8 inches tall.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This is another ghost pepper plant that is struggling.

This is a Scorpion butch t I have another one that has peppers but 2 of these that don't

What potting mix are you using? Potting mix is the must crucial thing. A good soil should be organic and well draining with a good amount of perlite. Other then that feed em once in a while and water as needed.

romy6 said:
 Looks like it is starving . Feed them babies. 
"Feed them babies"  Jamie your sick, LOL  babies are not plant food, now baby poop may help but. don't kill babies!!!!!

The Mix is manure and some composte that was in the garden from last year. Which did great last year for alot of veggies.
They get about 10 hrs of sun a day total. THe weather here in North Dakota has been hot the last few weeks around 80 everyday.
When you guys say feed them what would you suggest. I use a MG feed on my tomotoes that works wonders.

Thanks for the help

You can use Alaskan fish fertilizer 5-1-1 and some kelp fertilizer and have very good luck. You can get these at Lowes and home depot for less than $10 each. The soil from last years garden is probably exhausted of nutrients since you didn't amend it with any fresh nutrients.
Also sounds like it may be compacting some. I like to add perlite and pine fines to my soil mix for better drainage and it keeps the soil from getting compacted.

rebelgrower3 said:
You can use Alaskan fish fertilizer 5-1-1 and some kelp fertilizer and have very good luck. You can get these at Lowes and home depot for less than $10 each. The soil from last years garden is probably exhausted of nutrients since you didn't amend it with any fresh nutrients.
Also sounds like it may be compacting some. I like to add perlite and pine fines to my soil mix for better drainage and it keeps the soil from getting compacted.

Thanks heading there now.

Back