• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

TPS true potato seeds grow

I grew a few different types of potatoes last year, as usual the they flower but the flowers fall off, however 1 grew into a fruit (looks like a green tomato). I saved it and got about 250 seeds from it. I planted about 60 of the seeds a few weeks ago and had 100% germination rate. I dont have time to write more now so i will leave this photo, the tps are all in the left, I have already potted up quite a few of them

BbgTKbA.jpg

Swinglish said:
I grew a few different types of potatoes last year, as usual the they flower but the flowers fall off, however 1 grew into a fruit (looks like a green tomato). I saved it and got about 250 seeds from it. I planted about 60 of the seeds a few weeks ago and had 100% germination rate. I dont have time to write more now so i will leave this photo, the tps are all in the left, I have already potted up quite a few of them
I found this?:

Rajun Gardener said:
Are you growing from seed? If you grow TPS(true potato seed) you'll get a different variety than what you started with. Check out "Kenosha Potato Project" on facebook. It's all about TPS and crossing.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/KenoshaPotatoProject/

Yes I have also read this, every seed will produce a new type of potato. Size, colour, shape, taste, yield...everything will be different. If theres something I really like I will need to save the potatoes and grow them to produce more the same. It's the first time I have grown potatoes from true seeds so everything is new to me. From what I have read my germination rate should have been poor as my seeds are only about 7 months old so I was surprised to get 100%.

So I fucked up :-(

I took them out to harden them off, I forgot I brought them outside and they go really sunburned, then I forgot to bring them inside and it dropped to -3C over  night.  You cant see it in the photo but its looking  like they are all done for

EbZv2AG.jpg

I have 2 of the tps plants in a large raised bed and 4 in the ground, the 2 in the raised bed are doing alot better  it they were also 2 the healthiest out of the 6 plants I still had inside.   The photo I attach is in the raised bed, it was taken 10 days ago, the plants are at least double the size now but they are still far behind the potatoes I'm growing from last years tubers.  

I fucked up the tps grow this but I have learned alot and will hopefully have much better results next year.

I will also try growing some more tps in small pots later in the year, see if I can get some small tubers that i can plant next spring and Make  things a bit easier and less labour intensive for me (not that growing tps was labour intensive it's just I had to do alot more 'taking care of' than I do with planting tubers)

UG7FzUx.jpg

Back