• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Trail Germinator....

Got bored this morning, so I decided to build a test germinator...
387617_2249727205413_1315203609_31921574_948243451_n.jpg
http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hpho...24645349_1315203609_31921573_1699424832_n.jpg

I would start off by placing a thermometer down inside to see how much you need to increase the temperature. They're many methods to choose from. I prefer using the propagation mats and temp controllers which have always produced great results.

Good luck!!

My wife is scared of me putting a heater in there... She was in a house fire as a kid. its 78 in there right now... I think I am going to put warm towels in there to keep the temp where I need it.

Wouldn't warm towels need to be constantly replaced? If you are at 78 degrees a CFL plugged in there should get you right where you want to be

UPDATE: We are constantly holding at 83.2! I will take it!
Checked it last night and it was in the 30's outside, and 52 in the garage...

Hi---I am new to growing and maybe I screwed up :rolleyes:

I put my seeds under a heating pad without a voltage regulator and checked the this morning and they were like 120-130 degrees. :eek:

Is that bad :crazy:

Thanks
Balac

I usually but my seads in a plastic bag between paper rowetls on like my laptops psu or NAS.. Had between 70 -80 germination rate that way...

your set up will work it looks like and the temperature of 83 is great...careful with the dome on the tray...once they start sprouting, you may want to take it off...you don't want damping off...and airflow is necessary once they sprout...

I put my seeds under a heating pad without a voltage regulator and checked the this morning and they were like 120-130 degrees. :eek:

Thanks
Balac

yup, that's bad...they are probably cooked...

Hey AJ, I have a computer fan and a power supply that I plan on plumbing in as well... Once they grow up, they are going to take a happy ride in an Aero setup for awhile! :)

cool on the computer fan....good luck in your grow...

your set up will work it looks like and the temperature of 83 is great...careful with the dome on the tray...once they start sprouting, you may want to take it off...you don't want damping off...and airflow is necessary once they sprout...

yup, that's bad...they are probably cooked...

Figured---well live and learn. :rolleyes: I better get a dimmer and hook that up to my pad :shocked: Thanks for the bad news :confused:
Balac :drunk:

Thanks
Balac

Did you actually smother them under the heat?........no way!

Greg

Figured---well live and learn. :rolleyes: I better get a dimmer and hook that up to my pad :shocked: Thanks for the bad news :confused:
Balac :drunk:

Here is a mat for $12
http://www.amazon.com/Seed-Propgating-Seedling-Heat-Mat/dp/B004PAGPVO/ref=sr_1_3?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1322701133&sr=1-3

and a regulator a smart THP member put me in the direction of $26
http://www.amazon.com/Hydrofarm-MTPRTC-Digital-Thermostat-Heat/dp/B000NZZG3S/ref=sr_1_2?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1322701133&sr=1-2

I used a heating pad last year for tomato seeds, and never felt comfortable having it on 24/7. Not sure a regular dimmer with a heating pad is the best choice for safety.

I put mine in a ziplock baggie with a paper towel. Then I place them on my bathroom tile floor which has heat mats under it to keep my feetsies warm. Never checked the temp. Worked just fine last year. I am sure if I made it 84.15432 ° F I could get stuff to germinate a day or two quicker. 70 hour work Weeks don't afford me the opportunity to get creative. :(

Back