• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Transferring from DWC to non-circulating 'Kratky' setup

I moved two plants to 18 gallon Walmart totes a couple weeks ago. Most of the video shows the transfer of the one that was in a DWC system. The other plant was in a 20 oz cup in potting mix, and is shown after the transfer was done. Both appear to be doing well after two weeks, and showing a lot of new growth.

https://youtu.be/1BCRW9k4JXE

how are your zip-tied pvc supports holding up? everything feel sturdy enough? 
The wind is my one concern for my future plans.

Malarky said:
how are your zip-tied pvc supports holding up? everything feel sturdy enough? 
The wind is my one concern for my future plans.
So far they are holding up well. There is a little give side to side, but it's not been a problem. Could probably tighten it down more by drilling a few more holes and zip-tying those up the sides, instead of just wrapping around. I've already extended the ones on the 32 gallon setup, just by adding a coupler and another section of tube to each.

Are the tubes there simply as support for the plant?  Or do they play some role in the Kratky setup?

Liked your video!  Subscribed.

hotjohn said:
Are the tubes there simply as support for the plant?  Or do they play some role in the Kratky setup?

Liked your video!  Subscribed.
Thanks for the sub! The tubes are just for support. Basically, it's 1/2" PVC zip tied to the net pot. I drill a hole in the bottom of each tube to zip-tie/anchor it, then add a few up the side. It's something I've come up with that I'm trying out. I can extend it by adding couplers and more tubes. I think for future ones, I'll drill more holes to pass string/wire through, and wrap around like a tomato cage, for additional support. Without that, they can be added at the coupler joints. You can see how I made it in the 32 gallon kratky build video I posted a few weeks ago. 
https://youtu.be/SnKriSBNFMY

Peter S said:
Thanks for the sub! The tubes are just for support. Basically, it's 1/2" PVC zip tied to the net pot. I drill a hole in the bottom of each tube to zip-tie/anchor it, then add a few up the side. It's something I've come up with that I'm trying out. I can extend it by adding couplers and more tubes. I think for future ones, I'll drill more holes to pass string/wire through, and wrap around like a tomato cage, for additional support. Without that, they can be added at the coupler joints. You can see how I made it in the 32 gallon kratky build video I posted a few weeks ago. 
could use T's to add extensions and create crossbraces for tomato cage effect?
edit: i guess they'd be X's or Crosses? what ever lol

Malarky said:
could use T's to add extensions and create crossbraces for tomato cage effect?
edit: i guess they'd be X's or Crosses? what ever lol
Yeah, and from the cross sides, maybe 45 deg elbows, and small extensions on those? I don't know, looks good in my head anyway. Lots of possibilities.

just watched your latest youtube 2016 grow update.  wow, what an array of peppers you've got going there.    impressive dude!

so back to the kratky...  what do you find the advantages are?  is it just less pumps and electricity and what not?  do you find the plants benefit one way or the other?   curious to hear your thoughts.

hotjohn said:
just watched your latest youtube 2016 grow update.  wow, what an array of peppers you've got going there.    impressive dude!

so back to the kratky...  what do you find the advantages are?  is it just less pumps and electricity and what not?  do you find the plants benefit one way or the other?   curious to hear your thoughts.
Thanks for the kind words. I haven't done a side by side comparison of circulating vs non-circulating, as far as same plants, in same size containers, exact same nutes, etc...,  to determine if one does better than the other. But, the Kratky plants are performing really well, enough so that I'll probably push more toward those type setups next year. What I really like is the simplicity, low cost and ease of setup. Assuming you have a large enough container and nutes for the whole season, it's truly fill and forget. I transferred some plants from DWC late in the year, but I hope to get a good idea by season end of how much they consume, to gauge long term setups for next year. 

Back