• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Transplant shock. HOW to reverse ?

Hey guys i've been noticing after i put seedlings from the jiffy set into their pots after they sprout they wilt a bit i think it might be transplant shock i usually pull them up. But only a few are showing this. Can this be helped or reversed. I'm thinkin aquarium water and epsom salt foliar mix ????????

I add the potting mix to 3" containers and completely soak it, then let it drain overnight. The next day, I remove a seedling, trying to keep as much root as possible, take a finger and poke a hole in the dirt, place the seedling in it, press the mix around it. After doing a tray, I place it back in the tub of water and completely soak it again, then let it drain and stick it back under the lights. I rarely have any wilt at all.

Mike

Dude you can't just "pull" them up if there are roots there. Or am is my drunk ass reading your post wrong?

I see another possible jiffy issue! Are the roots coming through your jiffys or did you remove the mesh?

when i had first started i pulled one plant straight out and killed the roots but these one i find the root loosen it from the peat and plant i'd normally take the mesh off and bout split it in half because the seeds are planted straight on top. No the roots arent caught i the mesh i try to et them out a day or two after they take their seeds hats of..

Quote :: ...and bout split it in half .. :end quote

I'm having a bitt of trouble editing the post but by this i mean since the rot get no deeper than a quarter of the way down in the peat pot by the time it is transplanted, i split the peat pot horizontally in half. But if theres two seeds in the pot i try to gently separate them

You likely transplanted too early before the roots were big enough to easily support the plant. Personally I avoid jiffys for peppers and use plastic cells, and I don't pot up until plants have large root systems. The less you mess with them when they're young, the better!

Nova,

I typically pull them up. It takes some practice getting use to how moist the soil should be - too moist is just as bad as too dry. But mine are not in Jiffy pots, just food trays filled with a fine potting mix. Some seedlings have decent roots, some just a couple of small hairs.

Last year, I never kept exact count but I transplanted close to 900 seedlings, almost all of them into 18 cell 3" flats. I probably lost two plants out of three trays. I did notice this year that when I moved the transplants relatively close to a 150 watt HPS instead of a 105 watt CFL they started to wilt. I put them under the CFL and the next morning they were fine and have been under the HPS since.

Mike

I would wait with transplantation until the plants got the 2nd real pair of leaves or until you can see some roots at the bottom of the pots - whatever comes first

Back