• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Transplanted Another 96 today 02-14-09

AlabamaJack

eXtreme
Just finished transplanting another 96 seedlings today to 3" containers...they are in their area...kept at 80F and under combination of 4100K and 6500K fluoros...hopefully they will grow well for another month then they will face hardening off...(total of 200 seedlings in 3" containers)

021409a002.jpg

did a little work on the grow box to make the Fataliis feel better...changed 6 of the CFLs to 6500K from 2700K...The Fataliis seem happy...picture was taken with the CFLs off...was too bright with them on to get a good pic....

021409a001.jpg

Tomorrow, I will plant one more tray of chinense and either one or two trays of annuums, and plant 150 Texas Red onion sets outside...

more tomorrow...

Darn AJ,

You are a machine! 150 onion sets??? That's 2/5 of an onion per day or close to it. I might plant 1/5 that amount and should still have plenty left over.

How many plants and what types (peppers, toms, onions, etc.) do you reckon you will raise this year?

Mike

I feel for you AJ, I moved 50 transplants in to cups today and have more tomorrow. Really wish I had a place for my plants like you do, only I have lots of sunny windows for the next month. I had to throw away many fine seedlings that I already had 5 of. Looking good on your end!

imaguitargod said:
When u planting the PPs?

Tomorrow

wordwiz said:
Darn AJ,

You are a machine! 150 onion sets??? That's 2/5 of an onion per day or close to it. I might plant 1/5 that amount and should still have plenty left over.

How many plants and what types (peppers, toms, onions, etc.) do you reckon you will raise this year?

Mike

onions are for salsa and chili...since I learned to pressure can this year and got a small market for my salsa...I want it all homegrown....probably will end up with 380 or so peppers...40 tomatos, herb garden with 14 herbs, 4 different cucumbers, 2 gourds, row of corn, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, broccoli, the list goes on and on....

Pepper Ridge Farm said:
I feel for you AJ, I moved 50 transplants in to cups today and have more tomorrow. Really wish I had a place for my plants like you do, only I have lots of sunny windows for the next month. I had to throw away many fine seedlings that I already had 5 of. Looking good on your end!

thanks Cappy...I am lucky I got the place I have to raise my plants...and I will probably expand this year sometime...I need another 3 tier 8' rack like in the first picture....that will give me room for 720 seedlings...

AlabamaJack said:
onions are for salsa and chili...since I learned to pressure can this year and got a small market for my salsa...I want it all homegrown....

Great plan. What toms are you using for the salsa?

probably will end up with 380 or so peppers...40 tomatos, herb garden with 14 herbs, 4 different cucumbers, 2 gourds, row of corn, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, broccoli, the list goes on and on....
Your Royal Flush sure kicks the daylights out of my three of a kind. Not including lettuce, horseradish and strawberries that will grow in a different area, I'll be thrilled if I can get 500 plants in the ground and growing. The only reason I can get this many is because basil, carrots, beets, beans, onions and peas don't take up much room. The toms, peppers and taters, though - yeah, they eat 1/3 of my room. I may cut out a row of peppers - two years ago I had only like six plants and had more than enough. Have to wonder if having 40, plus 15 in containers is really necessary.

Mike

AlabamaJack said:
Just finished transplanting another 96 seedlings today to 3" containers...

that is unbelievable - i thought have a total of about 31 little ones in cups right now with about 5 to 6 more ready to move from my greenhouse was a lot. you just moved 3x the total number of plants i have! do you have any room left in your garage for anything else?

wordwiz said:
Great plan. What toms are you using for the salsa?

thans Mike...I have been using store bought roma tomatos...I will use any of the ones I am growing...this is test year for me to tweak the taste of different tomatos in my salsa...

peter pepper said:
that is unbelievable - i thought have a total of about 31 little ones in cups right now with about 5 to 6 more ready to move from my greenhouse was a lot. you just moved 3x the total number of plants i have! do you have any room left in your garage for anything else?

Don't worry PP...you will find more area to grow...I am fortunate the wife drives an HHR and since it is small it doesn't take up much room...I pull it out in the daytime when she is here...oh yeah, I keep a sound system for our band in there too...

Nova's got it right

Damn AJ, you make this hobby seem like work. If you run out of room you can always get the wife an even smaller car. Like a motorcycle.

Very interested in your tomato-related salsa experiments. I thought about doing maters this year, but have my hands full of peppers.

it turns out to be work in the summer time...I will probably drop 20-30 pounds this summer...

I've got somewhere between 15 and 20 varieties of tomatos...the ones I am interested in are the large red cherries that produce 1 1/2 to 2" fruit and the Tommy Toes...my grandmother used to grow these 50 years ago and I have not seen them (not that I've been lookin') until this year...great taste for a 1" cherry tomato....I am sure there will be posts when tomato harvest is here....

thanks lavish...

well, it is time to get up from this chair and go start planting seeds...

more pictures coming later...

Trays 7, 8, & 9 planted 02-15-09 ...pics and list

here are a couple of pics to show how I plant them...I use tweezers to handle the seeds...

first photo is of the multipurpose tote...I use it to put the trays in to catch the seed starting mix and it doubles as a bottom watering trough...I can get 40 plants in their holders in here at once to give them a good soak...usually 30 minutes...

002.jpg

this pic is of the second tray I planted with seeds (this is my PP & Jap tray (Number 8)

004.jpg

top shelf of germinator full - 4 72 cell trays kept at 86F constant...will fill the bottom shelf up next weekend with flowers and veggies...

006.jpg

List planted today...

Trays7-8-902-15-09.jpg

now its time to go outside and prep the onion bed and plant some Texas Red onion sets (from Burpee grown in Texas)

AJ it's inspiring to watch you work. You truly have a passion for growing things. I can only imagine how much I would enjoy living in your neighborhood, watching and more than likely helping you do your thing. Well except for the chocolate fataliis.;)

patrick said:
You truly have a passion for growing things.

I think I got my love for gardening from my grandmother and my grandfather...grandma grew many many different things in the garden...about an acre for the main garden. Grandpa farmed about 200 or so acres of corn (winter feed for the farm animals)

imaguitargod said:
Yaaa!!! I finally made AJ's list!

Yes you did Iggy...now lets hope they grow like yours have...

AJ,

Love your setup, you are a motivated individual...and I am jealous of your location in the country too...I will be moving back down where it is warmer when I can, for a longer growing season... :) much respect for your excellent neatness and beautiful plants! Thanks for sharing with us.

Back