• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Transplanting a DWC to a smaller bucket

I was wondering if you moved a plant from one dwc to a smaller dwc and had to cut a lot of the roots off because they were entangled with other plants, what would be the outcome. I am moving the plant because i forgot to provide a way to support them, and they are full of peppers and doing great. I hate to have to do this, but i fear its my only option.

what mill said, why would you move a plant to a smaller bucket? why not a larger one? if you cut the roots and not the canopy, branches will die as the roots cannot feed all of them as canopy size is directly proportionate to the root mass.

the plant is about 2 feet tall, and my 30 gallon tote is being overtaken by other 2 plants in there. The smaller bucket would be 5 gallons, about the same amount as the plant is in the 30 gallon. This is just a last resort, I think i have found a way to stake it up and keep all the roots.

Am I missing something... 3 plants in 30 gal. is about the same as 1 plant in 5 gal.?

Regardless, yes I would transplant because your limit is going to be sun as much as it is soil, providing you can water it often enough but that should be easier now that summer is *over*. However, shocking the plant now may mean that you don't gain anything production wise, just a more suitable arrangement to overwinter if you were planning on doing that.

Back