• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Transplanting seedlings... how deep?

Novacastrian said:
But don't give them too much if they are still young, maybe under some shade cloth?

Check ;)

I got just the spot for 'em... the people in the unit above mine have some shade cloth hanging over some of my patio. Almost perfect except I gotta remember to move them during the day when the sunlight changes angles.

I plant mine about 1 cm from the cotyledons...then in a week, if the cotyledons have not fallen off, I clip them off as close to the stem as I can without scraping the stem...

remember this, do not have leaves touching the soil...bad juju my friend...provides more paths for vermin' such as ants, cutworms, etc to get to your plants...

I am finding that out this year AJ, i didn't provide enough room for all the plants in my patch and they are sprawled all over the ground.

you got to tie them up or as an old username of mine - tymeup- stake them, or do something...

trust me...anything splashing on the soil up to the leaves and the many pathways for the bad juju causes...if it hasn't already started...best way in the world to lose a plant...

I know, I know, it hurts me when I have to trim large lower branches full of green fruit and buds but it is best IMO if you do...

back on thread...transplanting depth...as has been said, if you bury them deep, they will sprout roots from the stem below the soil and give you a stronger base for the plant and a larger rootball quicker...

I recently replanted all my peppers, the ones with 2-3 sets of true leaves, I pinched off the cotyledons and planted them upto that depth. The ones still working on their first true leaves I planted to 1/4" below the cotyledons.

Ballzworth said:
i don't think the lankiness is a result of how deep you plant the seeds. Usually it's from the dome being on too long or lights that they're reaching for in their first day or two of sprouting if they're too far away.

So, the risk of the stretch is over after the first few days?

AlabamaJack said:
remember this, do not have leaves touching the soil...bad juju my friend...provides more paths for vermin' such as ants, cutworms, etc to get to your plants...

Sounds like very sound advice and true wisdom, AJ!

Back