• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

travel Travel suggestions (US)?

Lol davincis pizza. We had one in Lincoln, pizza sucked but they had a killer cheese steak the works with added pepperoni and jalapenos. True stoner food right there. 

at a second glance, it appears a number of the businesses/restaurants that I listed have gone out of business since I've been gone.

Hopefully a few are still there.

San Francisco as previously mentioned  has so much to offer...temperate climate,great for artsy stuff,fabulous food,nice people & all in all a great place to visit.
One thing  I found different from NYC,is that there is not anyway near the night life,I could be wrong there,but as known, things don't get going in NYC till after midnight...
In October you may consider New England ,although the fall foliage  doesn't peak till later on the month..that is a nice time in New England,get some lobster.clam chowder & visit some diners,we have some of the best here.
Boston is a great city has everything a tourist would want...food,museums,lots of places within walking distance. & a distinct accent,you can't miss that :P
 Wherever you go,have fun..lots of  eye candy for sure!  .......Sandy!

D3monic said:
Wifey wants to live in oregon/WA area. I'm more fond of CO. I work outdoors and don't like getting wet. It rains a lot up that way in the winter. That said either location is a step up from IL.. oh and boobies!

Joliet annual rainfall: 34 inches

Seattle (western WA) annual rainfall: 38 inches

Twisp (eastern WA) annual rainfall: 14 inches

Portland annual rainfall: 38 inches

Denver annual rainfall: 15 inches

Lots of replies, great! :D
Thanks a lot everyone that chimes in.

D3monic, I actually missed Grand Canyon when I was in Vegas. I had a trip booked and planned but then the strike happened which closed a lot of national parks, including GC. :(
Any particular city you'd recommend in AZ?
Same question for CO.

Thanks keybrdkid!
I'll look through your suggestions and see what's still around.
How'd you like the Vanderbilt area when you lived there?

Boston sure has a distinct dialect wiriwiri. :)
Any particular part of New England apart from Boston that you'd recommend?

If I go to Florida then St. Augustine is definitely on my to-do list sirex.
Any other part of Florida you'd recommend?

Ohjay said:

5-6 days - ?
Also a potential "let's drive somewhere". Maybe somewhere in South Dakota and back to Minneapolis?
Or a flight somewhere else, San Francisco, Texas somewhere?
Once again, any and all suggestions welcome.

I would suggest heading up to Duluth and the North Shore of Lake Superior for a night or two.

Duluth is a great small city with lots to see and do. Definitely check out Canal Park, and have lunch and beer at Fitger's Brewhouse.

A little ways up the north shore...

Neat place to stay for a night: http://www.northernrail.net/

Awesome local beer: https://castledangerbrewery.com/taproom/

The best smoked fish on the north shore: https://m.facebook.com/RussKendalls

Ohjay said:
Thanks keybrdkid!
I'll look through your suggestions and see what's still around.
How'd you like the Vanderbilt area when you lived there?

Not bad. Traffic and getting around can be a bit interesting sometimes (like if you miss a turn and have to figure out how to backtrack correctly since there are a lot of one direction roads I think,) but Nashville is basically one big circle as far as interstates are concerned-or at least it used to be. So hopefully you can get around alright. 

Vanderbilt is sort've like its own city within a city. I was on the campus once or twice for a club meeting, and I volunteered at Vanderbilt Medical Center when I was a student at Belmont-which is only a few blocks away from Vanderbilt. 

There is a cool replica of the Parthenon in Centennial Park that is worth a look. Its life sized. You may have seen it on television. There are also plenty of restaurants on West End of varying type. Also in the other areas I mentioned. Concerts and shows abound if you know where to look for them. 

Its a little bit further away from Vandy, but Cheekwood Botanical Gardens is interesting. As are the cities of Belle Meade, Brentwood, and Franklin south/south west of Nashville if you get a chance to drive through them. North of Nashville are the cities of Gallatin and Goodlettsville. 

Florida.  Check.
September.  Check!
Good weather?   :confused:
I dunnow about that!  I tend to immediately think "Hot and stupidly humid, with occasional hurricanes for extra excitement!"   :P

You mentioned New Mexico.
The October trip would be ideal for a nature oriented tour of the 4 corners region.  The region within the Albuquerque - Santa Fe - Grand Junction -  Green River - St. George - Flagstaff - Albuquerque circle has a few large and medium cities that might be of interest, and gobs of stupidly pretty scenery that will be ablaze with fall colors.  Canyons, forests, redrock, mountain peaks, the works.  Cities to visit might include... Flagstaff is a cool college city that might appeal.  Albuquerque is somewhat of a sprawl, but might be worth checking out.  Santa Fe is getting kinda big, but still has a hint of small town intimacy.  Cedar City is lovely if you can stand the Mormon tilt.  (It's about as far removed from the weirdness of Portland as you're gonna get!)

IMO, one of the better combinations of Small Town America and glorious scenery is the Hwy 89 drive from Arizona to Wyoming.
Start at Sedona (fly into Phoenix?) and head north through Flagstaff, Page (after a short side trip to the Grand Canyon), Kanab (numerous AWESOME hikes in the area), Mt. Carmel (Zion NP is 1/2 hour away), Panguitch (Bryce NP), and then up the central valley of Utah, where you'll see dozens of lovely little cities. On to Salt Lake City and Logan.  Up Logan Canyon (superb fall colors!) to Bear Lake.  On to Afton (see the Elkhorn arch and hike to the Periodic Spring!), Teton National Park and then to the magnificent-beyond-words Yellowstone!  Drive back to Salt lake or continue to Bozeman MT to catch the return flight.

Thank you everyone for the replies and suggestions!

Geonerd, thank you for that detailed suggestion about Hwy 89.
It definitely sounds interesting and is something to keep in mind

grantmichaels, BC as in British Columbia? Any particular part of that territory in that case? Victoria? Vancouver?

Back