• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Treated seeds

I have some seeds from a seed bank that had : Caution seeds have been treated.
I think I have read on a letter or website from a seed bank that you shouldn't eat pods from the treated seeds. It doesn't say what it has been treated with and when I sent them an email asking I didn't get a response.

Has anyone ever eaten pods from treated seeds from a seed bank or know if they are safe to eat?

moyboy said:
Why do they 'treat' the seeds in the first place????

To stop the spread of disease?

Exactly...

Most if not all commercial seed is treated with some kind of fungicide. Many seeds are produced wherever labor is cheap, and it is produced in such quantity that they can't afford to make sure every pod and every seed look perfect and disease free.

All of the pepper seeds that we've been sowing at the research station I work for are not only treated, they're dyed funny colors so they can be easily identified. We go another step further, and treat them in a 10% clorox solution for 10 minutes to kill any pathogens that might remain. After this, they are rinsed in 2 changes of distilled water, and then they're ready to go.

If you were growing 50 acres of peppers, 1 bad seed could literally spoil most of the field if it were infected with certain pathogens!

ABurningMouth said:
The treatment will not effect the pods. Why would a seed bank send seeds for a plant you can't eat from?

It was for research and not redistribution so I thought maybe they had done something so you couldn't sell it? But then again my research would include tasting so I don't think they could give you seeds that would make you sick. Only one way to find out!;)

I don't think its a cheap labor issue, most large seed companies which sell for farm supply will either screen and treat their seeds, and/or they will sell organic seeds. I've bought lots of treated seeds from Stokeseeds and other large seed suppliers and have never had a problem

Back