• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Trendiest Mainstream Pepper of 2011?

From my limited perspective, around here Shishito peppers are blowing up in fine dining establishments. And one of the local organic suppliers had a ton to offer this year.

My guess is it's because they are a) prolific b) easy to get as local produce and c) sound "exotic". And there may be some supply side economics going on, since I think most of them are coming from the same source and going to high-end eateries.

Your thoughts?

It seems a lot of people are hitting the Fitali's this year, I missed out. However they are high on my to-do list.
Apart from this, for trends, 7-pots appear to be increasing in popularity, and the annumms seem to also be more popular.
I hope to have any type of pods from this year as I have had no fruit in previous years, just flowers. The season is looking hopeful, just potted up four seedlings too :)

The trediest peppers seem to always be the hard to get super-hots but many of them are crosses, are unstable, and un-proven

First off, what is trendy about chiles? They're not a hula hoop, they're not an I-Phone.

Trendy usually means someone is spending money to advertise something you would not otherwise purchase, luring the uninitiate.

I try to stick with stuff I like to eat, trendy be damned.

First off, what is trendy about chiles? They're not a hula hoop, they're not an I-Phone.

Trendy usually means someone is spending money to advertise something you would not otherwise purchase, luring the uninitiate.

Didn't know hula hoop was trendy. :rofl:
Food can be trendy, too. unfortunately.

I'm glad to hear it, Willard, but you weren't really the point of the thread. :)

Although I do understand your perspective, it's not what I was after, FWIW.

Just kind of curious about what folks might've seen trending/peaking in different parts of the country/restaurant fare/supermarkets.

No negative connotations about it, really. But there are trends in everything, including food. Sometimes from those trends, come some fascinating innovations. Food (and chiles as part of it), are no exception.

I have seen the Bhut Jolokia mentioned multiple times on the Food network and on the travel channel on various shows in 2011. This is my first year learning about peppers, especially super hots. So for someone coming into it at the beginning level, that would be my "trendy" pick from what I have seen in media coverage.

I have seen the Bhut Jolokia mentioned multiple times on the Food network and on the travel channel on various shows in 2011. This is my first year learning about peppers, especially super hots. So for someone coming into it at the beginning level, that would be my "trendy" pick from what I have seen in media coverage.

Interesting. Thanks. I had no idea. I'd say that's pretty notable!

Hello from somewhere else in ATX.

You east or west of the fault line?

Bhut jolokias are very trendy in Minneapolis this year. They started showing up in markets and at a few restaurants, where they sell like crazy.

I don't follow trends. I set them. :rofl:

That said the Trinidad Scorpions have been trendy for a while now. :)

All I see in the places I go to are Jalapenos and sometimes dishes with New Mex/Anaheim type peppers on the burger.

Ah,can I get that supersized for another buck or get a couple more toppings on that pizza?

Trendy places wouldn't let me in,besides the bus don't go that far uptown without a $5.00 transfere...

I don't follow trends. I set them. :rofl:

That said the Trinidad Scorpions have been trendy for a while now. :)

:D

Indeed you do!

Are TSs trendy only within this community, or to the public at-large?

I have definitely seen a lot of supermarket bhuts this year, but no TSs...yet.

But you're at the epicenter. Maybe you're seeing it more than here.

Do you think there'll ever be a market for superhots in the restaurant/CPG world? Can they be incorporated into foods/recipes so that they are more palatable to the average Joe?

Nah the T.S.'s are pretty much only trendy within the chilli head community.
The general public sees them as being too hot to handle and probably a bit of a novelty more than trendy.

Small world. I start work at my new place on Braker between Burnet and Kramer in January.

Sounds like you might have "real soil" near you.

I have very very dense clay. My cherry tomato roots had nematode damage, substantial. Been told that was not common here, but yet I have it. During the summer during our heat bake, I could not even dent the soil. Hard as a fired brick. Not too much organic matter in it.

Thinking of either doing pots for my first 2012 grow season, or a raised bed, or both.

Is it Houston Clay? Does it crack during drought? Clay has awesome water retention properties, but yeah, the particle density makes it a PITA.

Back