• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Trent's 2014 Grow Log - COLD COLD COLD

Figure I'll keep track 2014 on here. At least then all my data will be in one place instead of scattered around on slips of paper.

First; PSA.

I'll *never* use the Jiffy starting pods / soil again.

I lost 95% of the plants in these two trays:

bNZv4wLh.jpg

The roots wouldn't form. They couldn't get any nutrients out of the soil, whatsoever, and tried to suck what they could from the layers of paper. 

Burpee trays with compressed peat were planted 3 weeks later and within 3 weeks were quadruple in size.

Finished transplanting all sprouts on Saturday (4-5-2014).

HZ99VoLh.jpg

xStYBqlh.jpg

I might lose a couple transplants but here's the current count (all in 3" paper cups)

7 pod Barrackpore - qty 6
7 pod Brain Strain, Yellow - qty 5 
7 pod Brain Strain, Red - qty 11
7 pod Chaguanas - qty 7
7-pod Jonah - qty 4
7-pod Long - qty 11
7-pod Original Red - qty 7
7-pod Primo - Qty 3

Bhut Jolokia (brown) - Qty 2
Bhut Jolokia (indian carbon) - qty 6
Bhut Jolokia (red) - qty 9
Bhut Jolokia (yellow) - qty 7
Bhut Jolokia (white) - qty 6

Brown Moruga - qty 6

Carolina reaper - qty 23

Cayenne (Sweet) - qty 3
Cayenne (large) - qty 6
Chili de Abrol - qty 10

True Cumari - qty 1

Datil - qty 3

Dedo De Moca - qty 3

Dorset Naga - qty 3

Fatali, Yellow - qty 4

Giant mexican Rocoto - qty 4

Goats weed - qty 3

Habanero (big sun) - qty 8
Habanero (chocolate) - all died / no sprouts
Habanero (orange) - qty 4

Jalapeno (black) - qty 8 
Jalapeno (early) - qty 14
Jalapeno (giant) - qty 15

Mako Akokosrade - qty 3

Naga Morich (orig) - qty 6
Naga Morich (monster naga) - qty 3
Naga morich (bombay morich) - qty 6

Pimenta de Neyde - qty 3

Tobago (seasoning) - all died

Tobago Scotch Bonnet (red) - qty 3
Tobago Scotch Bonnet (yellow) - qty 5

Trinidad Scorpion (butch T) - qty 8
Trinidad Scorpion (Cardi) - qty 4
Trinidad scorpion (douglah) - qty 3
Trinidad scorpion Moruga - qty 7
Trinidad scorpion (orig) - qty 3
Trinidad scorpion (PI 281317) - qty 3
Trinidad Scorpion (smooth) - qty 1
Trinidad Scorpion (yellow) - qty 4

PI 281429 - qty 1

surviving overwinters in large pots:

7-Pod (orig) - qty 1
Bhut Jolokia (red) - qty 2
Bhut Jolokia (giant) - qty 1
Yellow Bhut jolokia - qty 2
Carolina Reaper - qty 4
Cayenne - qty 1
habanero (golden) - qty 3
habanero (tazmanian) - qty 3
Naga morich - qty 1
naga Viper - qty 2
Trinidad Scorpion - qty 1
Butch-T Trinidad - qty 2
Trinidad scorpion moruga - qty 3
Yatsufusa - qty 1
Scotch Bonnet (red) - qty 1 (sole 2012 survivor)

Total 3" pot transplants: 264
Total overwinters surviving: 28

Patients 3, 4, and 5.

The one on the left is another 7-pot Chaguanas that I grew from seed. The other two are Habaneros which I acquired in a trade from another forum member.

The symptoms between the three are dissimilar, however... so this might not be the same issue.

2c3hUdGh.jpg

On the left, the Chaguanas is showing the same mottled leaf pattern of it's sibling, indoors. 

Damn flourescent lights make taking good pictures difficult...

0afVDFfh.jpg

Close up of leaf damage. (Same pattern as what the three indoors show, this one didn't show any symptoms until it was outdoors for a week in shade.)

dc8zMBfh.jpg

First of the two habanero "imports"

This one looks like early Blight. I don't have a microscope or high power magnification to confirm though.

ozJJOXAh.jpg

Second habanero. This is something I've never seen before. The striking black markings are very odd.

W3bz2Pmh.jpg

A close up of that sudden spotty necrosis on the second one;

tP9BBzch.jpg

So... there we are. Three different diseases/fungus/bacteria/mites/somethingthehellrather.

The other 250+ plants all look fine. :)

OK, new outdoor pics. 

Rushed these tomatoes a little too much I think. At least I'm *hoping* that's sunburn. They all show it on the older leaves.

rtSjT6Oh.jpg

Overwinters standing guard over the pepper plot... I had about 10,000 volunteer tomatoes pop up, along with assorted crab grass, etc, so I'm going to re-till it before peppers go out.

unQbwuhh.jpg

Rest of it... 

GStXaMGh.jpg

I'm scooting all of these trays of 5" pots out of the shade in to the sun in the morning and evening.  Not giving them noontime sun (yet)

VCW7bE1h.jpg

"The BoneYard" (I lost a few more overwinters...)

OgpYvKzh.jpg

Speaking of .. this Reaper doesn't look too good.

lPxZp1ah.jpg

And ... this mottling pattern looks familiar. On an overwintered Yellow Bhut Jolokia.

Perhaps the original patient??? I didn't see signs until way after these overwinters went outdoors, but that doesn't mean they weren't infected from it; they did live together in the grow room for 2 months.

biqSS32h.jpg

Same plant. Look how yellow this thing is. Soil is shot. Needs nitrogen ASAP.

lpAr5Lbh.jpg

Overwintered Yatsufusa. This thing is going to be a monster this year.

pBz5JlLh.jpg

Moruga Scorpion. Surprisingly it's bouncing back; this root bound fellow desperately needs new shoes. 

iP6Hf1eh.jpg

Got lots more if I get a bump. :)

Gracias!

This old dog is my 2012 Scotch Bonnet - the one I saved from certain death with a gallon of Hydrogen Peroxide!  Oh man is it doing awesome now.

5YPA1kch.jpg

This Reaper looks much healthier than the other. :)

EVGtF9gh.jpg

This Trinidad Moruga scorpion isn't looking too bad either.  These things are as hot as the Reapers, IMO. If you blindfolded me, I couldn't tell them apart on flavor or heat. (I could tell on pod shape, though.)

VmXw0OCh.jpg

This little gem is a Tazmanian Habanero. It's taking right off, and doing great. This is a great upper-end heat Habanero that I used for a base in my Habanero sauces last year.

Mds8yIwh.jpg

This Cayenne was also a "close save" - it got 3 quarts of Hydrogen Peroxide before coming outdoors. I have never had much luck with cayenne, always had problems with mold kicking in before I can harvest them. There's a bug out there that likes poking holes in the damn things... so out of three years growing Cayenne I've harvested ABOUT that many useful pods. But, I keep trying....

GYuQ4wQh.jpg

I tell you what, that Hydrogen Peroxide stuff.... holy crap it works miracles on overwatered / root rotted / fungus ridden soil!

Unfortunately I don't think these are going to make it. I have my wife out picking up more hydrogen peroxide but the roots on these two must be shot. The Habanero is producing some funky tiny leaves, screaming nute deficiency, and the Bhut Jolokia is nothing more than a stick with roots. Note; I re-potted the Bhut Jolokia 3 weeks ago in fresh potting soil AND fully washed out the roots in the process; there wasn't much left.. fungus or something had destroyed all of the root mass.

gnwqGflh.jpg

Right is a "Not-7-pot" - it produced pale cream colored pods that turn from yellow to white, habanero taste, 7-pot smell, but with a STRANGE heat that was blistering fast on the onset, and intense in the nasal cavity - kind of like Wasabi, in a way. (This was an obvious cross, Pepper Joe was where I got the seeds. Was supposed to be a 7-pot but nowhere close to being a 7-pot. Anyway, the damn thing was unique on flavor, shape, heat, etc, so I'm going to keep growing it a few generations to see what happens.)

Left is a Giant Bhut Jolokia, going to live up to it's name again this year I'm sure. 

esmlXxAh.jpg

This is a sad specimen of a Naga Morich. It hasn't been doing too well, tiny misshapen leaves. Root problems, fungus, something is bothering it. Going to try saturating it with Hydrogen Peroxide to kill off any fungus in the soil. Then hit it with some root stimulant, and then hope it grows some new roots...

qAXCT86h.jpg

This Butch-T is kicking ass on new shoots, but desperately needs more nitrogen. Damn soil is exhausted on most of these plants.

RU8pLCsh.jpg

Another cute little yatsufusa. If you've never tried these, they have kind of a bitter taste, but an interesting flavor and quite a bit of heat. They're a VERY pretty, compact plant though, so even though I don't like the pods in food (so much as others I grow), I will continue to grow them as small ornamentals. I'll still use them as a chili flake base, too!

Io9nqiBh.jpg

Got more overwinter stories to tell if I get another bump at some point. :)

Devv said:
bump!

Edit:that was weird, normally I'm told about new posts...

Probably by mail...
Judging by the current online users and the ongoing notifications of other users,
it cannot be really instant ...

lucilanga said:

Probably by mail...
Judging by the current online users and the ongoing notifications of other users,
it cannot be really instant ...
What usually happens is a little white box pops up and announces that another post was made and provides a link to show it. It does this when you're in the reply window.

LOL OK I got a half dozen bumps while I read a news article. Thanks again! :)

Another Bhut Jolokia - this bad boy is looking GREAT.

DgS7Do1h.jpg

Last surviving "Golden Habanero". These things produce huge pods, great flavor. I made a yellow habanero sauce last year with them. Very tasty. (seeds from Pepperjoe fall of 2012)

lyojfiGh.jpg

This yellow bhut jolokia is also coming on STRONG! Another favorite of mine. Very good tasting pods.

wT9Ykyuh.jpg

Another tazmanian Habanero in need of some nutrients...

4jgG51Ph.jpg

This 7-pot isn't doing so well but it still has a very green stalk. I'm hopeful that it'll send out some new shoots.

DXEVkd2h.jpg

this Naga Viper is doing well but only down low. I might prune it back a little so it can focus it's energy better on new branches.

o2ml52eh.jpg

This Moruga Scorpion is really struggling. I suspect it's roots are FUBAR.

D7P9HGxh.jpg

Another Carolina Reaper, producing a lot of new growth. I have to hand it to these things... they're a damn sturdy strain.

My Dianthus are blooming. I took this picture of my pretty pink flowers while wearing a gun on my hip, so I don't lose any man points.

26LjWJZh.jpg

I took this before tearing down my grow room, thought it was an adorable picture. He really loved laying in the empty grow trays under the lights - he stayed pretty much in that same spot for a week before I chased him out and tore everything down.

aYUhbZuh.jpg

And I need to have a serious talk with this other cat about gun safety. For some reason he always cuddles up to my Glock when I get home from work.

jdiGPSFh.jpg

Whoops forgot to paste that last Reaper picture but no biggie. I hit 10 again and I'm done after 3 batches lol! Got to go pick up some tomato cages and potting soil, kids brought home MORE plants from the greenhouse at school which I somehow need to find room for, without sacrificing pepper space.

Looking good Trent.

Any of those OW's that you suspect have root issues would probably do well after a topping, that way they won't have to support so much.

Are they dirt bound or staying in the containers?

Good luck with your grow!

I wish I had some constructive input for the ones that look sick. Other than isolate them and see what they do.

Runescape said:
Awesome looking plants. What are those red things in the background?

Some kind of annual flower, can't remember what type off the top of my head. that section is reserved for my youngest daughter's flower garden. :)

I'll check the tag next time I'm out there.
Devv said:
Looking good Trent.

Any of those OW's that you suspect have root issues would probably do well after a topping, that way they won't have to support so much.

Are they dirt bound or staying in the containers?

Good luck with your grow!

I wish I had some constructive input for the ones that look sick. Other than isolate them and see what they do.

You know I'm not sure if I'm going to put them in the dirt this year. I'm hoping to use them for the original purpose - isolated seed stock. Was hoping to get that over winter, but the aphids kicked the plants asses too bad. I managed to get 3 ripe pods from 2 of 20 varieties. They were flowering right about the time the first aphid invasion kicked off in full force, and the soapy water was disagreeable to both leaves AND flowers. (Lost most of the leaves after the 2nd or 3rd spraying.)

It'll be easier tagging & bagging branches with them in pots, so I may leave them there.

I'll probably put the two Yatsufusa and the Cayenne in the ground - I have seeds for those, and it won't hurt me too bad if I have to re-grow them next winter. Probably stick the reapers in too, I'll have a whole row of them and figure I can tag & bag the end plants when they start budding up.
Jeff H said:
Wow, tons of pics. Great update Trent. All of the healthy ones look great. My condolences to the few casualties. Dirt day is right around the corner.

Yeah sorry about the huge number of pics; wanted to document the overwinters that made it. A few are still pretty questionable, but for the most part I'll count it as a victory. Given the waves of aphids and other issues (overwatering..) I'm surprised I got as many to live as I did!  

24 of 34 survived the winter.  I can live with 70%. :)

It's still MUCH better than last year; I had 2 of 10(?) survive, and one of those two was so damaged it never produced anything again.

Well whatever fungus, virus, or pest was doing the damage to those last three plants I brought inside to quarantine, did NOTHING compared to the damage the damn cats did to them last night.

Apparently cats like eating pepper plant leaves?

Grrrr......

No but if I catch which one of the 4 cats is eating the leaves I *will*.
Ack. Update on the peppers. 

Forgot to shove them back in to the shade this morning and over lunch found all of them "melted looking"... too much sun!!! Ack. The noon sun was cooking them.

I pushed them back in the shade and gave them a drink of cold water..... hoping I didn't burn them too bad.
It's almost like they were all sad and crying, saying "YOU HAVE ONE JOB TO DO STUPID HUMAN"

LOL it was their way of making you feel guilty. Mine got the crap beat out of them while hardening by the winds, which really haven't let up. And now I feel the ones in the raised beds have mites, so they're getting the treatments.

Here our sun gets hot at 2 and stays that way until around 6. It starts at 12 but 2 is brutal.

You know you have a few that are probably ill, but you also have a ton of beautiful plants. So overall this year should do really well for you.

But I feel ya, I hate to lose any plant. I have 2 more Tom's looking poor that I need to pull. I little light (very) went off in my head today. Two years ago when I had issues it was in the same spot, so corn goes there next season.

Have a great rest of the week and good luck with the isolated babies.

Overall I have to say things are looking well for you.  Got some sadness pics too :(  My plants always look bad when I first get them out with sunburn and wind and what not.  Sorry about the OW.

I've seen that bug before, but not sure what they are called and if they're good or not.

Back