• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Trinidad 7 pot primo seeds look weird?

So I have several pepper seeds. They all look very similar. The Aji Amarillo and Fatalli look identical. I've tried both to test heat level kinda. They both were kinda spicy.

The Trinidad primo look very different. Kinda wrinkly or something. More cardboard color and have no heat when tasted. Is this normal? I got them from Judy so I trust them but I'm just really confused. Was wondering what the explanation for this is.

I see a lot of recipes posted here about removing seeds before making sauces or ferments and that it takes some of the heat away. But the seed I ate was not hot at all.

Sorry if this is the wrong forum didn't know where to post about this.

juanitos said:
note sometimes seeds are treated with trisodium phosphate so you don't want to just go popping them all in your mouth.

post pics. that sounds ok seeds will vary especially for superhots i found some are more wrinkly.

post a picture.
On mobile so this is the best I can do right now

http://imgur.com/09wVKB1

Also didn't know that about the seeds. Lol hope I don't die.

I find this interesting as i never have once contemplated eating pepper seeds.Ive read somewhere that they have no nutritional value and contain no capsaicin,i could be wrong here but thats what heard/read somewhere.So if some seeds seem hotter than others perhaps the ones with less heat were washed a little better.

Removing seed from the pepper in no way reduces the heat of the remaining pod. Seeds do not have any capsaicin content themselves. They may appear to be hot if placed in your mouth because they develop on the placenta which contains the highest content of capsaicin of the whole pepper.

I thought OP was comparing his aji with the fatalli by peppers or leaves looking the same, but seeds, lol.

OP ,
If there's a lil flake or piece of placenta in the bag, which sometimes there is, you can eat that and get a burn, but don't eat no boxstore seeds, they may be treated with something not made to be eaten by humans.

Good choice from the vendor you purchased with.
You will be happy with the end result with judy's seeds.

Happy growing!!

D3monic said:
bah that's nothing. I got some seeds that look like origami they are so wavy/wrinkly 

I notice my saved chinense seed are wrinkly/wavy when there is a lot attached to the placenta and dry in clumped bunches. Seeds that are individually removed tend to be nice and flat. I have found no differences in viability.

Lovepeppers said:
I thought OP was comparing his aji with the fatalli by peppers or leaves looking the same, but seeds, lol.

OP ,
If there's a lil flake or piece of placenta in the bag, which sometimes there is, you can eat that and get a burn, but don't eat no boxstore seeds, they may be treated with something not made to be eaten by humans.

Good choice from the vendor you purchased with.
You will be happy with the end result with judy's seeds.

Happy growing!!
Yeah I'm loving my white fatalii plant. Only one plant seems to be growing true. The others looks like light yellow Habs. Waiting to see how the other plant fares if they ever ripen.

Its been a week and none of these seeds have germinated. I am starting some more using a plastic bag instead of in the container that I've used in the past. The Japs, Habs, and Fatalii all seemed to do fine this way. (the japs i forgot about and transplanted when they were about 3 inches tall. Had to throw one Primo seed away as it looked as if it was getting moldy (green and white fuzz). I replaced the towel they were on. Just hoping they weren't damaged in shipping.

Hi there, ablizno

After reading your last post, I felt the urge to throw some info out in the world for ya. Sorry if you already know all this...

First, I'm a bit curious if you are warming your seeds or not. I find that seeds in constant temps between 78-80 deg F tend to germinate earlier and with better overall % than unregulated temps. 

I use this and just stick the sensor right next to the bag) I put the bag in between a folded kitchen towel and have that on top of a seedling mat.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008SJ1H7A?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

And Second, I would like to suggest a very small tweak that I came up with a few years ago. Not sure if anyone else does this, but it works very well for me. When I wet the paper towel in the bag, I do not just pour tap water in there. Instead, I fill a sprayer with tap water (let it sit out if you can to de-chlorinate, not necessary though). Then add 1 teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide to the sprayer. When you wet the paper towel, use the sprayer with this mix. The H2O2 acts as a disinfectant and will help battle against molding/rotting seeds. 

mrgrowguy said:
Hi there, ablizno

After reading your last post, I felt the urge to throw some info out in the world for ya. Sorry if you already know all this...

First, I'm a bit curious if you are warming your seeds or not. I find that seeds in constant temps between 78-80 deg F tend to germinate earlier and with better overall % than unregulated temps. 

I use this and just stick the sensor right next to the bag) I put the bag in between a folded kitchen towel and have that on top of a seedling mat.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008SJ1H7A?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

And Second, I would like to suggest a very small tweak that I came up with a few years ago. Not sure if anyone else does this, but it works very well for me. When I wet the paper towel in the bag, I do not just pour tap water in there. Instead, I fill a sprayer with tap water (let it sit out if you can to de-chlorinate, not necessary though). Then add 1 teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide to the sprayer. When you wet the paper towel, use the sprayer with this mix. The H2O2 acts as a disinfectant and will help battle against molding/rotting seeds. 

Didn't think about temp. That's probably the difference. The house is kept at 70 right now. When in the warmer months it is kept at 80. I have them behind my HTPC to get more warmth as it's always pushing out a little heat. Thermometer is in use right now while my beer ferments. But I'll check it out in a few days of nothing happens. Going to try using these new little containers I got at work. 0.5 oz clear hot sauce containers. I'll try some Aji and Primo to make sure it's not the seeds.

Back