Trinidad Chocolate Congo

Another beauty from Judy at Pepperlover.com. Thanks Judy!

I liked this one a great deal. It`s not too surprising, as the Trinidad Red Congo in on my all-time top 10 pepper list (Thanks Wes). The aroma is very pungent with a little fruitiness and a lot of that certain C.chinense smell. I swear I can detect cocoa, very, very slightly. The flavor is great. Not much in the way of sweetness, but fruity, lots of acidity and that certain earthiness and richness often found in chocolate pods. It`s a very balanced set of flavours and one i enjoyed a lot. 

This is also a pretty hot pepper. At least double that of an orange Habanero, IMHO. This is consistent with the heat you get from the Red Congo pepper, too. Just like the red version, this is a fantastic combination of flavor and heat. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnlPvlfy2VY&feature=youtu.be

PepperLover said:
Nice review 
this one is GREAT for powders thats why u feel the cocoa taste 

are you ready for the next round of pods Nigel
Love this chile.  It's always been one of my favorites.  Make a great powder and a great puree.

Great review as always Nigel. I got a bunch of these as bonus freebies from Judy in an order. Loved the flavour, even if they're a bit above my level for eating whole, unless I have a day off the next day lol. 

Aweomse review!  I hope this isn't too off topic but I bought the congo colorful collection from Pepperlover which I am very happy with.  Based on Nigels good reviews I tried to germ 5 or 6 of each with an aim to end up with a least 1 of each.  The reds are very strong germinaters and are growing well.  Same with yellow with perhaps slightly less vigor.  Orange had a slightly lower germ rate but still good.  Chocolate, I did not have some much luck with.  I got 2 seeds to germ and lost one of those as a seedling so I have one slightly unwell looking little plant.  Interestingly I have also had no success with Jamaican Hot Chocolate and chocolate habs from other suppliers.  Out of perhaps 60 varieties these browns have had the most attempts and the least success.  Has anyone else noticed, perhaps, the brown/chocolates are harder to germ and grow (as far fetched as it sounds)?

Robisburning said:
Aweomse review!  I hope this isn't too off topic but I bought the congo colorful collection from Pepperlover which I am very happy with.  Based on Nigels good reviews I tried to germ 5 or 6 of each with an aim to end up with a least 1 of each.  The reds are very strong germinaters and are growing well.  Same with yellow with perhaps slightly less vigor.  Orange had a slightly lower germ rate but still good.  Chocolate, I did not have some much luck with.  I got 2 seeds to germ and lost one of those as a seedling so I have one slightly unwell looking little plant.  Interestingly I have also had no success with Jamaican Hot Chocolate and chocolate habs from other suppliers.  Out of perhaps 60 varieties these browns have had the most attempts and the least success.  Has anyone else noticed, perhaps, the brown/chocolates are harder to germ and grow (as far fetched as it sounds)?
That is common with browns. I have had my own saved seeds, knowing the pods were over ripe when collected, take 60 to 90 days. Have struggled before myself with purchased seeds. Don't give up, they may still pop.

Back