• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Trinidad Red Seasoning vs Trinidad Seasoning

Hey all,
Just curious, I got 'Trinidad Red Seasoning' from AjiJoe last year. I really loved it. It was like Sweet Habanero and Zavory, when it smelled hot but wasn't really hot at all.
I also have 'Trinidad Seasoning' from PepperLover...
http://pepperlover.c...uemart&Itemid=1

I thought the 'Trinidad Red Seasoning' peppers from last year were more pointy at the bottom vs the pear shape those have in the PepperLover pic ...
Are they different varities? It seems lthe Trinidad Seasoning is a mildly hot pepper, vs the Trinidad Red Seasoning which is a smells-hot-but-is-not-hot flavor...

Thanks for any input if they are definately different varities,
-Ari

Hi Ari

All of these varieties are basically Habaneros that have been bred selectively to have no heat and are stable strains. My wife (Puerto Rica) cooks with seasoning peppers all the time. The common type for them is the Aji Dulce and Aji Cachucha. They are basically a no heat scotch bonnet and the other a no heat Caribbean Red variety. Excellent taste mind you. The Trinidad mind you are the same. Just different varieties of habaneros bred to have no heat. All of them may at some point have a slight tinge to them if left to ripen enough. I would guess maybe 500-1000 scoville, no where enough to even be a Jalapeño.

I have grown those and see no difference. This year I am growing Grenada and Tobago seasoning peppers and Trinidad Perfume. So far same thing, taste great, habanero scent, no heat. Great for my wife, sucks for me lol

Thanks for this... and for the reply from Arijer...
I am trying to grow some of the AJi Dulce and the Tobago Seasoning Peppers, and the Trinidad Perfumes too.... for the first time.
I am very much looking forward to the tasting. None of those 2 are popping up yet.. a few of the other types I planted are coming up but only a few of each of some, and some have none showing yet at all... it has been just over a week now... a few poked up one plant in just 3 days!!!!. except for the Hawiaian Sweet Hots.. all 6 are showing after just 9 days!!...
I replanted over the ones I had already planted that were not showing yet...and just to be sure and moved the trays over my airvent on the floor in front of the balcony door to ensure the soil temp is good and warm,.. think that may be why the others show no progress.. we'll see.

FYI - I put them in seeding trays, then on the lid of a storage container and I put the clear storage contaner on top to form a mini green house.
Keeps in the moisture and provides light access too, and it has worked very well for me over the years. The tomatoes are doing great wth this.

Bruce / Revwarnut

Back