Trinidad Scorpion Butch T and pepper stabilization

Just taking a little stab at the other thread title, I have a question about the creation of the Butch T.

Is it just a regular TS that was selectively bread for heat over several generations or is it actually a cross between a TS and some other pepper that was subsequently stabilized and renamed? I have both regular TS growing and TSBT and I find their looks to be indistinguishable but in reading pepperlover's site, they say that the original TS peppers are larger than the TSBT which is a smallish pepper.

I thought I read it was selective breeding for a more prominent "stinger" than anything.... but ive done a lot of reading on peppers the last year....

With all the talk about pod shape etc/ going on I figured I would chime in.I ordered butch t seeds last year from jim duffy, the 3 plants I ended up selecting to grow up all had very similar shape pods. I saved seed from a couple of the best looks pods imo to grow this year. So far my pods from this year look nothing like last years pods. 

I have the original seed. Was said to have gotten from someone in Trinidad, who really knows. Obtained them from Butch back in 2005-6. I kept a mother living up until last year. My seed grows true to this day. Very stable. Huge, fat, prominent stingers, still the hottest mouth burn...brainstrain gets my gut though...

Pepper-Guru said:
I have the original seed. Was said to have gotten from someone in Trinidad, who really knows. Obtained them from Butch back in 2005-6. I kept a mother living up until last year. My seed grows true to this day. Very stable. Huge, fat, prominent stingers, still the hottest mouth burn...brainstrain gets my gut though...
I've heard the same rumor too. It seems that no one who knows is really telling the true origin but I'm leaning towards thinking that the Butch T isn't a cross after all but bread from seeds from Trinidad.

armac said:
Ask Butch Taylor.......he is a member here..

I know he is, but I haven't seen him post in a while. Can't even remember his user name. What is it?

Back